Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

View Poll Results: Are you using external flash with your FZ?
Yes 7 87.50%
No 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 8, 2006, 12:58 PM   #1

Hi all.

I have had my FZ20 for one year and finally bought a Metz Mecablitz 36 C-2 external flash for it. I took couple of test shots and was amazed of the difference between built in flash an external one. Offcourse i have lot to learn but eaven now I know that I made a good decision when I bought it.

It would be nice to hear your experiences of using external flash and maybe some poiters how to get the best out of it.
Jozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2006, 6:11 AM   #2

I have the tiny FX01, and I love it so much. The outdoor picture quality in on a par to the thr Powershot S60, if not better. At indoors, it's above the average, however, I think that a good external flash could be the answer.

Additionally, my main concern is when I use the NIGHT PORTRAIT mode that it suppose to light the person and light the surroundings as well... In this particular case the pictures come out very grainy... take a look to the pic. Do you think the Metz flash would help in this case?
Attached Images

mariowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:59 AM   #3

Hi mariowar

I don´t think that external flash would be the answer in this case (too big distances).

Best way to get pictures without noise is to use lowest ISO setting in your camera (100?) and tripod to help with balance (Shutter is adjusted to lower speeds when using low ISO sensitivity). You can allso try to lean your camera on something fixed if you don´t have a tripod. And allso remember to force the flash off if the program doesn´t do that itself.

Hope this helps. Post new ones when you get the hang of it.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:22 PM   #4

I use a SUNPAK 383 and it works great onceI get the hang of it. Many of the shots I take with it are with the head straight up or slightly angled down for that bounce flash effect to eliminate harsh areas. The head also swivels about 340 degrees, so if I want I can bounce the light off the ceiling behind me. In situations where I don't have to shoot too far I also use a defuser to further eliminate shadows. The pic of my 35mm cameras in my recent post was done with the defuser attached. By the way, the 383 is also pretty powerful for that long reach.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 2:49 AM   #5

Thanks for the tips. Here is a link with the AWFUL original pic in NIGHT PORTRAIT, then some decent at iso 80 and 100, plus one with the popular STARRY SKY MODE.

Don't forget to take a look to the attachment of the very first post, it is awful!!! but it was just ignorance.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=53

There's still noise but with a little of Ninjitsu I think it will do the trick in 4X6 prints. Let me know what you think.

So tell me how are you using the Metz flash, is it true it's the very best? friendly, powerful? I might get one for the concerts because usually my pics come out grainy.
mariowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:43 AM   #6

Thank you for your reply Hiroshi and mariowar

I will look your pics and comment them in the other thread.

I´m just in the beginning of using my Metz and trying to learn to get the most of it. I bought it for indoor photography especially for big spaces like sport halls etc. I think it would be good in concerts if you get near enough. It is quite powerfull and easy to use and the price is right (under 70€ in Finland). It´s good value for your money but I can´t say that it is "the very best". There is more powerful and more diversified flashes in the market but the price is allso a lot higher. And allso my FZ20 couldn´t get the best out of more expensive flash so why spend all that money for nothing.

I don´t know if your camera is capable of using external flash with cord or do you need a slave flash?