Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 8, 2006, 11:37 PM   #11

Here's a pic of an FZ10 & TCON 14B attached.........It's a pretty hefty lens, the front end has 86mm threads
Attached Images

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:22 AM   #12

Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:
I understand your point...as one of those guys who likes thecapability to shoot subjects from far away...430mm is not enough....that's why I did the research and boughtan OlympusTCON 14B which on the FZ20 extends the range to 620mm. I would have opted for the more powerful TCON 17 but didn't like the fact that it wasn't as sharp had more purple fringing. You can pick up a new TCON 14B for about $150.00 and the TCON 17 for $100.00 from a reputable dealer on the net.

According to the reviews I've read the TCON-17 works better on the FZ30. The TCON-14B is a great choice for the FZ20.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 1:46 AM   #13

Agreed, the TCON17 produces super sharp images on the FZ30.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 2:41 AM   #14

One more thing...You can purchase Panasonics 1.7X tele addon and it does not require a step ring. Many prefer the tcon and I believe it's less expensive. The Panasonic works well for me. You might want to consider using a tripod if you add the tele. The combined zoom will magnify the image greatly and in doing so will also exaggerate any movement holding the camera. IS is effective, but when I have the luxury of a handy tripod I use it along with the 1.7X addon. Good luck...

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 2:53 AM   #15

Hi Sailboater.¬*Are you aware that¬*P¬*(Program) is auto mode and A (Aperture Priority) allows you to adjust the aperture for greater or smaller depth of field? A does not indicate Auto.¬*Bruce
brucegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 3:18 AM   #16
Baz

Yes, you are correct Bruce, But the P S & A modes are really "Auto" modes, in that they rely on the camera metering to provide the correct exposure.

Sure in the P mode you can jiggle the aperture & shutter combinations for the same exact exposure. And in the A & S modes you can do the same, but choosing the aperture or shutter you wish, with the same metered exposure.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 4:42 AM   #17

Totally agree Baz... but in Sailboater's third post he mentioned switching between Auto and Program modes, hence the explanation. Bruce
brucegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:38 PM   #18

Thank You! I finally did realize that last night. I think for a while I will prefer the "P" mode over the "auto". I did some pics both ways and I have more flexibility without having to reset anything except the zoom on the P mode. Zoom doesn't work in auto. I also set SC1 to Portrait and SC2 to Scenery. I didn't adjust anything, just set those two things. I will try them out when grandchild gets here today. I am afraid to do much in changing settings as I don't want to mess up the "sure thing" settings made by mfgr, so they will still be there for my trip. Also found my computer doesn't have enough memory to print my pics, it will take them in but not show individually, so I will have to go to Walmart and print something so I will know if my settingsa large print to frame.

Answering other question, I believe the Ritz (Wolfe Camera Store)says in their ad that it is free digital & film camera classes. I don't know who teaches the classes or what they cover or how much it costs if you didn't buy a camera from them. It is a farther drive to the store than to the tech school here that has a photography major.

Well, beautiful, sunny day. I am going out to set up my tripod and experiment some more and see what I can learn today. Don't have a lot of time left to get this down good for my trip. I am a kind of slow learner, but once I do learn something, I get good at it. Thanks for the help. I am beginning to understand the manual a bit better now too.
sailboater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 12:53 AM   #19

sailboater1 wrote:
Quote:
Thank You! I finally did realize that last night. I think for a while I will prefer the "P" mode over the "auto". I did some pics both ways and I have more flexibility without having to reset anything except the zoom on the P mode. Zoom doesn't work in auto. I also set SC1 to Portrait and SC2 to Scenery. I didn't adjust anything, just set those two things. I will try them out when grandchild gets here today. I am afraid to do much in changing settings as I don't want to mess up the "sure thing" settings made by mfgr, so they will still be there for my trip. Also found my computer doesn't have enough memory to print my pics, it will take them in but not show individually, so I will have to go to Walmart and print something so I will know if my settingsa large print to frame.

SBer1...i believe that is incorrect...the zoom works in all modes...you are talking about a Panny FZ30 aren't you...this is a very easy camera to use if you're a novice or can be a fully manual working camera if you're more inclined...have you sat down and read the manual?...all of this is covered in it, even if it is done in an abbreviated fashion...

don't make it difficult, keep it lite and have fun...

btw...the 'AUTO' mode is your best bet as a beginner...the camera makes all adjustmentsincluding focus for you, all you have to do is zoom in or zoom out...you do have thefocus set on AF and not on AF Macroandnot set to MF (manual focus)?...

roy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 2:57 AM   #20

brucegarrett wrote:
Quote:
Hi Sailboater.Are you aware thatP(Program) is auto mode and A (Aperture Priority) allows you to adjust the aperture for greater or smaller depth of field? A does not indicate Auto.Bruce
What is the difference between P (Program AE) and the automode that looks like an icon of a camera with an "A" in the middle? The manual makes it confusing.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote