Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 10, 2006, 9:57 AM   #21

The confusion for me was that there is digital zoom and extended zoom. In "auto" (the A surrounded by a red camera) mode, I guess I am in digital zoom, which goes to 12X. When I have it all the way over at 420 looking across the street at my neighbor's mailbox, I thought the box would take up the whole picture and it doesn't, and I am about 200 feet away. I had visions of being on the ship, using auto, and taking a picture of a whale or an animal on shore and it wouldn't be a speck. With the extended zoom, I know how to set it now, but I don't think it works in "auto". I had to set on "P" before I found the place on the menu to set it.

I took pictures yesterday and went to Walmart and developed four portraits. I did one each in auto, P, and SC1 (which I had set to portrait). It was hard to tell the difference between the 3. Overall, I personally liked the one in auto, due to skin colors. However the one in "P" had more depth of field, which my husband likes in his pics. I kind of like the blurry background in portraits. The SC1 Portrait was a bit brighter than the others, almost too much so. I don't know how I did the fourth pic. Just snapped a cute shot. But it is so sharp that the sun picked up a couple hairs that blew across her face, so it looks like there was dust on the lens, which there was not. Unfortunately my computer does not have enough memory to look at individual pictures once I load them in. Can't even e-mail. This is probably due to my old machine having only 32MB RAM, acceptable a few years ago.

Well, again, thanks for info. I think I will use auto for most pictures as they truly did come out very nice. I will use "P" for when I want to use the extended zoom, just have to be careful not to go below 5 MP.
sailboater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 4:43 PM   #22

Hi Sailboater: The Auto setting (A in the red camera icon) will not automatically activate the digital zoom... you need to refer to page 34 of the manual to set up the digital zoom. Don't expect miracles as this setting simply enlarges the centre of the image and reduces the pixel count, thus reducing the resolution. The difference between P*(Program) and A*(Auto) is with Program you can adjust the shutter speed and/or aperture along with the metering pattern and other parameters to achieve a 'perfect' exposure coupled with the effect you require (freeze motion or shallow depth of field etc). With Auto the camera takes over and fixes these settings for optimum results... see page 42 of the manual for details. Hope this helps. Bruce
brucegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 5:52 PM   #23

I did set the d. zoom to 4X. In P it says (p.37) that the camera automatically sets shutter speed and aperture value. I don't know how to do those things yet. When I do learn, I will then probably want to do everything manually! Maybe graduate to dSLR! I think the reason all 3 of my pictures looked about the same is that the camera did all the work, and did it to a consistency, even though 3 different 'modes' were used. I am having a hard time understanding program shift, p. 39-40, which, I think is what you are talking about. The example pictures look the same to me. But, I am learning something new every day and need to be patient with myself. I think I can now go on my trip with the confidence that I will at least have some decent pictures. If I don't have the skill to take some stuff I want, well, I wouldn't have gotten it any way with my ancient Panasonic 1.3 MP.

Thanks so much for help. Each time someone responds and tells me something in a slightly different way from the manual, another little lightbulb goes off in my head and I make a bit of progress. My problem as a beginner is that I get so excited when I see my picture on the screen that I have a hard time remembering all the little symbols to look for to see if everything is "right", i.e., right MP's, etc. and I have a hard time remembering what everything means. But I know it will come. Memorizing isn't one of my strong points.
sailboater1 is offline   Reply With Quote