Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 8, 2006, 5:45 PM   #1

I am totally new in photography, so excuse my ignorance, but I need help. I am using the auto feature right now and I thought it would be easy, but I can't seem to figure out how to take the pictures I'm looking for. For instance, standing on my deck, there is a dogwood in full bloom about 50 feet away. I want to be able to stand there, zoom in and get a close up of just one branch of flowers. I thought all I would have to do would be to turn the zoom til it looks like what I want, however, there must be some setting I need to do to get this to work. But when I take the picture then go to review and turn the dial on the front of the camera, it lets me get what I want and position it where I want. I can settle for that, but I can't seem to figure out how to save the picture in the camera once I get what I am looking for. I know I could do some of this in software, but maybe the picture would have less "noise" if I do the editing in the camera.??

Any help you can give this newbie on using and enjoying the camera in a simple way would be appreciated. I will take a class when I get back from my Alaska trip, but I need help now so I can take nice pictures right away. I bought the camera for the zoom lens but haven't figured out how to get it to work!
sailboater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2006, 5:58 PM   #2

I'm totally confused at your question. Once you snap the picture that's what is saved.....Have you read the manual?

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 6:23 PM   #3

Yes I read the manual, but don't understand 3/4 of it. There isn't much in the manual about auto mode, p. 42. I guess what I don't understand is why when I am standing less than 50 feet away from the subject, and I "zoom" to 420 foot setting, it doesn't show me one large flower instead of half the tree. It says it is at 12X. In auto mode the D. zoom is set to off, but I thought in auto it would automatically turn it on for a particular picture when needed. Why have it at off? If I set it to on will it stay on in auto or go off when I turn the camera off? Why would the mfgr have set it to off? See what I mean when I say I am a newbie? I really am, but I thought from the reviews of the FZ-30 that I could really just point and shoot until I learned. Sorry for dumb questions.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 6:41 PM   #4

I guess I just answered my own questions. Went outside, turned camera on, turned on D. Zoom and then changed from the auto mode to P (Program AE). It gave me the picture I wanted! Just beautiful. What is the difference between this mode and auto? It says in the manual, p. 37 that this mode automatically will set shutter and aperature, things I won't understand until I take a class. Are there other things I might have to set to get a good picture in P mode?
Old Apr 8, 2006, 7:01 PM   #5

sailboater1 wrote:
Quote:
Yes I read the manual, but don't understand 3/4 of it. There isn't much in the manual about auto mode, p. 42. I guess what I don't understand is why when I am standing less than 50 feet away from the subject, and I "zoom" to 420 foot setting, it doesn't show me one large flower instead of half the tree. It says it is at 12X. In auto mode the D. zoom is set to off, but I thought in auto it would automatically turn it on for a particular picture when needed. Why have it at off? If I set it to on will it stay on in auto or go off when I turn the camera off? Why would the mfgr have set it to off? See what I mean when I say I am a newbie? I really am, but I thought from the reviews of the FZ-30 that I could really just point and shoot until I learned. Sorry for dumb questions.
Digital zoom does not refers to the lenses 12X true zoom capability. What the digital zoom does is that it takes over beyond the LEICA's 12X capabilities and starts cropping the picture in the camera, getting you closer to the center subject of the picture. As you increase the digital zoom you also decrease the amount of pixels in the picture. The FZ30 is an 8 megapixel camera, as you increase the digital zoom the total megapixels of the shot go down. This is OK if you're going tomake a 4X6 print and it may eaven work on 5X7 and in the right conditions 8X10, but you will quickly rach the limits if you want to produce a smooth fine detailed photograph worthy of enlargment. When you turn the digital zoom on in the menu, you will notice that next time you zoom and hold the zoom lever on the zoom bar in your view finder will have an extra blue section that will show the zoom ratio beyond 12X all the way to 48X.

Hope this helps

Hiroshi
Old Apr 8, 2006, 7:13 PM   #6

Yes, thank you for explanation. I did understand the concept of this as it is like what happens when you use software to get closer to subject, the larneedger the print, the more grain. However, I guess I get confused when people say that they don't need to carry all those lenses with this camera because of its zoom.

Again, thanks for the help.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 7:47 PM   #7

Are you aware with the FZ30 there is a extended zoom ?

and the 3 EZ mode shot in the 3/2 aspect ratio gives you over 700mm of optical zoom ,and you do not think that is enough?

Have any Idea what a 500mm lens for a DSLR looks like? HUGE!

I have a 80 to 400 stabilized lens for my D50 and I can hardly lift it.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 8:56 PM   #8

I really need to find someone here to show me how to use the zoom. I know it has all this capability, I just don't know how to access it all yet. Guess I should have bought the camera for the extra $250 at the camera shop and received free lessons instead of buying it over the internet.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:59 PM   #9

sailboater1 wrote:
Quote:
I really need to find someone here to show me how to use the zoom. I know it has all this capability, I just don't know how to access it all yet. Guess I should have bought the camera for the extra $250 at the camera shop and received free lessons instead of buying it over the internet.
Are those actual lessons or just a salesman showing you how to use the basics?

One way to get more zoom out of the camera is to set it to 5 megapixel or lower. This will effecttively increase the optical zoom, but from what I understand is no differnent than cropping an image usining software. It is just a question of whether you want the camera to do the work or do the work yourself later. I prefer shooting 8 megapixel and cropping later because it allows me more options. If you allow the camera to crop, you can't reverse the process.
Meatwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 11:19 PM   #10

sailboater1 wrote:
Quote:
Yes, thank you for explanation. I did understand the concept of this as it is like what happens when you use software to get closer to subject, the larneedger the print, the more grain. However, I guess I get confused when people say that they don't need to carry all those lenses with this camera because of its zoom.

Again, thanks for the help.
I understand your point...as one of those guys who likes thecapability to shoot subjects from far away...430mm is not enough....that's why I did the research and boughtan OlympusTCON 14B which on the FZ20 extends the range to 620mm. I would have opted for the more powerful TCON 17 but didn't like the fact that it wasn't as sharp had more purple fringing. You can pick up a new TCON 14B for about $150.00 and the TCON 17 for $100.00 from a reputable dealer on the net.

Hiroshi

P.S> Here's a picture of the TCON 14B. you will need a step-up ring 55mm to 62mm to screw the lens onto your FZ30

Attached Images