Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 11, 2006, 1:01 PM   #11

i still have an old Pentax ME Super that i got back in 1982, along with a bagful of (mostly mediocre at best) lenses for it, some of which no longer work right. as someone else here mentioned, i can't see paying for film and developing again. the FZ20 and my new 30D can do anything my old Pentax could do and more, and i'm too pragmatic by nature to have any emotional or sentimental attachment to film. i'm at work now, but if anyone's really interested, i can post a pic of that old camera later...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Rick55 wrote:
Quote:
Hiroshi....let's see your 35mm cameras.:-?
OK, here's what I've got:

Nikion F2 Photomic 35mm camera - with Nikkor f1.4 50mm lens & Vivitar f3.8 19mm lens + Vivitar 283 flash.

Pentax ME Super SE -35mm camera -with Pentax f1.4 50mm lens+ Tokina f4 35-70mm & Tokina f4 80-200mm lens + Vivitar 3700 flash

Fujica V2 Rangefinder - 35mm camera with f1.8 fixed lens (takes great transparencies.)

Yashica LM Twin lens reflex (120 film) 2 1/4" X 2 1/4" format (packed away in the garage somewhere) don't us it anymore.
Attached Images

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:04 PM   #13

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
i still have an old Pentax ME Super that i got back in 1982, along with a bagful of (mostly mediocre at best) lenses for it, some of which no longer work right. as someone else here mentioned, i can't see paying for film and developing again. the FZ20 and my new 30D can do anything my old Pentax could do and more, and i'm too pragmatic by nature to have any emotional or sentimental attachment to film. i'm at work now, but if anyone's really interested, i can post a pic of that old camera later...

The Pentax ME Super is quite a nice little camera and very compact and easy to use. With the SMC Pentax-M f1.4 50mm lens it does quite well especially in close up photography where a blurred background is desirable...great B&Ws with triX too.

Hiroshi
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:23 PM   #14

the basic lens i got with mine was the Asahi Pentax f2.0 50mm... i also have a Seikanon 28mm f2.8, and an assortment of zoom lenses from 35-70 to 75-300mm. but the camera needs a trip to a maintenance shop before it's useful again, and half the lenses i'd never even bother with, since i'm sure they couldn't hold a candle to the Leica lens in the FZ20, or the lenses i have for my 30D... and i'd still have to buy film and pay for developing, and settle for the processing the lab thinks i want! i do believe i'll stick with digital... :G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 7:49 PM   #15

Though I also tend to only shoot digital these days, there are often times I miss taking slides - I liked being able to project a nice big image to look at...

(I have not bothered to buy a digital projector yet - they are good for movies but for still images their resolution is pitiful compared to standard optical projection. So I will save my pennies for the time when high-res digital projectors become readily available... In fact, a couple of pros I have talked to, said that if they need to sometimes project their digital images for clients, then they have an imaging bureau dupe the images onto film slides and optically project them, rather than use any of the currently available digital projectors.)
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:44 AM   #16

David C wrote:
Quote:
Though I also tend to only shoot digital these days, there are often times I miss taking slides - I liked being able to project a nice big image to look at...

(I have not bothered to buy a digital projector yet - they are good for movies but for still images their resolution is pitiful compared to standard optical projection. So I will save my pennies for the time when high-res digital projectors become readily available... In fact, a couple of pros I have talked to, said that if they need to sometimes project their digital images for clients, then they have an imaging bureau dupe the images onto film slides and optically project them, rather than use any of the currently available digital projectors.)
My companyrecently purchased a digital projector for presentations. After quite a bit of research we settled for a HP at the cheapest price we could find $2300.00, retail is $3K.....It's nice but for digital photography it leaves you wanting....I totally agree with you the technology still has to grow in this area. SLIDES ARE MUCH BETTER.

Hiroshi
Old Apr 13, 2006, 12:35 PM   #17

Here is my Film cameras.

Pentax SLR was a joy to use. Enough zoom and decent flash. The little fuji was my first camera.

I havenĀ“t used my SLR since i bought FZ20, but I must say that some of my best pics are taken with film SLR.

Sweet memories...
Attached Images

Jozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 3:09 PM   #18

Well, I have a lot of real old cameras like a 35mm agfa german 1937 model camera, but I used a Minolta XE-7 which I still use from time to time and one Mamiya 330 and one 220, with 80mm protrait lens. Several light meters, weston etc. and several wide angle and zoom lens for my XE-7, several flashes, Vivitar 283, sun pak and a meitz. My XE-7 has been pretty much replaced by my FZ-30. I shuned going to a DSLR because I just did not want to spend a wad of money on lenses like I had done in the past. It pretty much handles every thing my XE-7 did with all those expensive lenses. Now if I want to do a real good portrait, well there has never been a better camera than the Mamiya 330, for a film camera that is. I really do love my FZ-30, that camera does so much that it is so hard for me to believe what I use to go through with the old film cameras. One good thing, my Normal 50mm F1.4 lens on my XE-7 had a 55mm thread size, plus I purchased several good metal step down rings so I could use the larger filters for my zoom plus I can use all my filters for my normal lens. I even tried the Vivitar 283 flash with the FZ30 and it seemed to work just fine.
bear740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 4:14 PM   #19

Not my camera, but my father's old camera, a Leica M4:

I guess it would be fun photographing with this camera. No autofocus, no built-in exposure metering, no zoom... One day I will borrow it, buy a film (I hope they will be still available then :roll, and then go out and enjoy the trade of photography...
Stoney79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 12:35 PM   #20

Keep them coming everyone.....and take a little time to snap a pic of your old equipment. It's interesting to see the transition photography has gone through in the last 100 years

Where's Nick Trop when you need him????:-?

Hiroshi