Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 9, 2006, 9:54 PM   #1

The Minolta ACT-100 1.5x is one of the highest quality tele convertersfor the fz series.It can be had on ebay for ~$60 if you're patient of for twice that if you're not. Either way it's an excellentaccessory lens, though a bit on the heavy side. These shots were from about 30-40 feet away. #2 is cropped some (~10%) for framing.

FZ5 w/ minolta act-100

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2006, 1:06 AM   #2

Everywhere you look you see that squirrel
Bootneck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 4:24 PM   #3

Nice Fred,

That act is real nice and sharp. Do you think the Ricoh is on par with it? I still have not had any time/good subjects to use my Ricoh on so I don't have any fantastic shots to show yet. It would be cool to see a side by side of the Act and the Ricoh.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:06 PM   #4

I really like #2 - good and sharp, with nice light.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:28 PM   #5

I love the #2 photo, I have one something similiar, though not as sharp as yours.

very good thanks for sharing
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:34 PM   #6

Fred

Nice shots - took me a few secs to pic out the lil critter in the first one and the pose in the 2nd is just cracking. What adapter are you using with the FZ5 to use the convertors ?

Cheers

HarjTT

:|
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 7:53 PM   #7

Here are the 1.5x minolta act-100and the ricoh tc200m side by side. The 52mm tc200mis rather difficult to find having been discontinued in 1988. But it shows up on ebay occasionally for around $40 and for it's size (not to mention the price)it is an exceptional tele. The act100 is a much heavier piece of glass and requires some modification to the fz5 adapter to handle the weight. The pemaraal fz7 adapter should handle it okay. The act100 has 49mm rear threads (but the rear pupil is of larger diameter than the ricoh) and will require a step down ring.

They are both of equal power; ie, true 1.5x tele. If you can find the tc200m, that's the one to get. Much lighter and smaller, thus better for carrying around on the camera. The act100 isway too heavy for treking, but it is readily available.If you want to experience a really fine tele converter at an excellent price, here's your chance. Minoltahas goneout of business so these may not bearound that much longer.

Old Apr 10, 2006, 8:26 PM   #8

Gee, Fred nice photo. Did you lie down on the ground for this one. It is very clear and sharp. No problem reading the lens nomenclature.

Jerry

P.S. The surrondings are also appealing.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:05 PM   #9

Jerry - The teles are sitting on a picnic table in my backyard. Taken with the fz5 in macro mode. I'm the caretaker/sexton of the church in the background.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:25 PM   #10

Thanks Fred,

Wow, that Act is a lot bigger then the Ricoh. So it sounds like for best image quality you would pick the Act-100 but for an all around performer with better handling and portability go for the Ricoh if you can find it. Nice way to look at it. I was hoping to pick up an Act for cheap but people on ebay keep bidding them up over $60 and after dropping about $50 on my Ricoh I'm running out of money for "fun stuff".

With a larger rear pupil the Act must be good down to what, about 2x-3x?

Thanks for the info.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote