Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:52 PM   #1

What is the best way to work around the large WCON-08B lens as far as getting light onto the subject and insuring no shadows.* I know I will need to use a different flash than the internal flash but what would be a good choice without geting too big or expensive?* I would like something that would be fairly versital.* I have also seen some info about increasing the distance for the AF Assist Lamp.* Is that something that can be done with the flash in some way?* Any concerns about redeye and if so what is the best way to avoid redeye?* Are there any filters I should consider for this lens? *Should I leave my UV filter on before the WA lens or remove it?* As you can tell I am very new to this so please don't go over my head too much.**Thanks, Al
mebareit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:05 PM   #2

I have the FZ20/WCON 08B combo....I use the SUNPAK 383 flash, it's very reasonably priced at around $70.00 it has a full tilt up head for bounce and it can swivel about 340 degrees It's great for getting around the shadow issuesand the WCON 08B. The down side is that it's full size, not a compact.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:51 PM   #3

Thanks Hiroshi for the quick reply.* I just checked ot the Sunpak 383 Super and it looks like a very good unit and the size does not seem to be too big.* The reviews I read were all very good and the price looks like about $80 shipped.* I have a question about something that I saw many times in the reviews, what is TTL?* It was noted that the flash does not have TTL and I can't find it listed in the index of my FZ20 manual.* Do I need it? * *Thanks, Al
Old Apr 10, 2006, 12:02 AM   #4

TTL = Through the lens metering and it means that the flash works in conjunction with the camera (reads the camera settings) and adjusts the intensity of the flash.The FZs don't have it, so you have to manually set the flash. The flash does have its own sensor, but it's not tied into the camera. It's not that big of a thing if you experiment with it for a while. Hope that my half baked attempt at explaining this answers your question.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 5:10 PM   #5

Ok on the TTL thing. I am now checking for the best price for the Sunpak 383. I would still like some input on the, AF Assist Lamp question, can the range be extended? Also I don't really know what causes redeye so I have no clue at to how to prevent it or reduce it. Any help here? I still need to know if it is OK to leave my UV filter on ahead of the wide angle lens? Again thanks, Al
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:02 AM   #6

I do not believe the range of th FA light can be increased.....its about useless.

About the filter, its OK to leave it on but in all probability it will cause vignetting, depending on which WA.

You will pretty much eliminate red eye with the 383 especially when you can bouce the flash. But it is caused by the angle formed by a line from the camera to the subjects eyes and back to the flash, the smaller the angle the more chance of redeye. So the more you zoom the more chance of redeye as that makes the angle smaller. Its better to zoom out and step closer.

http://myweb.absa.co.za/gertb1/guides/guide_redeye.htm

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:10 PM   #7

Thanks Genece, I checked out the link about redeye and I understand what you are saying now. It looks like the Sunpak 383 is what I will be getting. Just one more question. It would seem like if I could elevate the 383 say 6-8 inches more that would help increase the angle even more. Is there an inexpensive extension available for doing this without buying something that must mount to the bottom of the camera? I am trying to keep things relatively simple for transporting. Or, do you think the elevated flash is really not needed?

Thanks again, Al