Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:21 AM   #1

Hey all

I really want to put a new lens onto my fz30. i have seen some amazing shots in this forum with maco lenses and so on. So imthinking how do these lense attach to the actual camera.

Do the lenses attach onto the 55mm thread, or is there an adapter to the thread then to the lens etc. Now im not talking about panasonic lenses im talking about others. like nikon, canon etc.

At the moment i would love either a reallly good macro lens or a wide angle lens witha huge aptre. But trying to keep to a tight budget

ALSO
Can for example a close up filter with a diopter of +10 compare to anactual macro lens.?

and

If stacking close up filters is there a limit on how many to stack, and do you just add up each diopter to get a total diopter value.?

and

Is there a difference between a haze filter and a uv filter?

thanks in advance
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:56 PM   #2

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
Hey all

I really want to put a new lens onto my fz30. i have seen some amazing shots in this forum with maco lenses and so on. So imthinking how do these lense attach to the actual camera.

Do the lenses attach onto the 55mm thread, or is there an adapter to the thread then to the lens etc. Now im not talking about panasonic lenses im talking about others. like nikon, canon etc.

At the moment i would love either a reallly good macro lens or a wide angle lens witha huge aptre. But trying to keep to a tight budget

ALSO
Can for example a close up filter with a diopter of +10 compare to anactual macro lens.?

and

If stacking close up filters is there a limit on how many to stack, and do you just add up each diopter to get a total diopter value.?

and

Is there a difference between a haze filter and a uv filter?

thanks in advance
If the add-on lens is 55mm you don't need an adapter. For example, one of the more popular telephoto lens is the Olympus TCON-17 is 55mm so all you need is the lens. Olympus also makes a 55mm wide angle (WCON-08)that screws on, but there is another version (WCON-08B)of the Olympus that works better, but requires a 62mm adapterring.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 12:07 AM   #3

thanks for clearing that up. i didnt think the thread was strong enough to support the weight of an extra lense. The pana guy who shoots through to the stores told me the pana expansion lenses are light for this reason. then again this pana guy talks a load about plasma, lcd etc which i tend to know a lot more about thn camera add on

thanks for tht mate

ken

Old Apr 13, 2006, 6:26 AM   #4

some wideconverters <--- (click) for FZ30

raynox <--- (click) tele/wide/closeups for FZ30
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:36 PM   #5

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
thanks for clearing that up. i didnt think the thread was strong enough to support the weight of an extra lense. The pana guy who shoots through to the stores told me the pana expansion lenses are light for this reason. then again this pana guy talks a load about plasma, lcd etc which i tend to know a lot more about thn camera add on

thanks for tht mate

ken

BTW.... I use a UV filter on the camera first, then I put my Tele on. I do this mainly to protect the camera lens. I don't know if the Panasonic lens are lighter, but I don't think the threads will get damaged from the weight of the other lens. You do want to be careful threading the lens on making sure you don't cross thread. I lay or hold the camerawith its back face down so thatit is easier to line up the threads. Potential damage to the threadsis another good reason to put on a filter first. You leave the filter on and if you were to damage the thread on the filter it is no big loss. You don't have to use a UV filter.... some use a sky or a clear filter.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 10:46 AM   #6

Don't forget that Panasonic themselves advise that any filter on the FZ30 is removed before adding a lens convertor (Manual, page 95).

As far as picture quality is concerned, however, it seems that users report little difference whichever way is used - remove filter first or leave it in place.
Peter_with_digicam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 4:04 PM   #7

Peter_with_digicam wrote:
Quote:
Don't forget that Panasonic themselves advise that any filter on the FZ30 is removed before adding a lens convertor (Manual, page 95).

As far as picture quality is concerned, however, it seems that users report little difference whichever way is used - remove filter first or leave it in place.

yes, this is what i would have thought. i would have thoght the corect thing to do would be to put the filters on last

ken