Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:21 AM   #1

the moon was out last night (first time in a while!), so i thought i'd try a comparison shot between my FZ20 with the TCON-14B and my new 30D with the Sigma 400mm lens. the Panny did pretty well, but here i think the Canon/Sigma combo did a bit better. i've noticed the Panny tends to give shots like thisa bit of a yellow-brown cast, but the Canon seems absolutely neutral. there's a slight rotational variation, because my poor old tripod had a hard time keeping the weight of the Canon/Sigma (just a hair under 6 pounds) level... :sad:fortunately, i have a sturdy new one on order! :G PP consisted of cropping to similar sizes, resizing for the web, and a bit of sharpening.

first, the FZ20 shot...

and now the Canon...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:29 AM   #2

Very nice. Both are good, but as you noted the 30D shot is more natural looking. I tried to take a few last nite also, but they all were just too bright, not showing the detail. FZ30 with TCON17. I still have to learn the best settings.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:15 AM   #3

Both good shots.

I imagine you've probably been able to correct the color on your FZ20 moon shots. But it's probably nice to be able to skip that step in PP.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:48 AM   #4

Thanks for nice pics. This series of comparisons has been really interesting and fun to watch.

Both of them are really nice. It´s really heart warming that FZ20 is able to take these kind of good quality pics in capable hands!
Jozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:22 AM   #5

To my eye, the most disconcerting thing about the FZ20 shot is the geometric distortion that appears to be there -- the moon looks ellipsoid instead of round as in the Canon shot. I don't associate such a thing with the Leica lens -- is this from the TCON-14B?

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:56 AM   #6

most of that is due to the rotational difference... like i mentioned, my old tripod isn't made for the weight of that Sigma lens, and tended to sag a bit to one side. as a result, the moon seems tilted more to the leftin the Canon shot. if you correct for that, the shape is the same. there's nothing in the TCON or the Leica lens doing that.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 5:16 PM   #7

Interesting serie and comparison, Squirl... and good shots too! The FZ20 is doing wellthough the wider dynamic range of the 30Dis obvious. Here's an FZ30 & TCON17 shot tonight, right out of the camera, just resized to something similar yours.
Attached Images

PeHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 5:17 PM   #8

And here's the same shot but with some postprocessing (only levelling). I also think camera settings matter though...
Attached Images

PeHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:52 PM   #9

Is that the same moon? :-)
Nice comparison anyway
Thanks for sharing...
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote