Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:55 AM   #1

Really, really like this camera. I noticed one of the Image Stabilizer settings (1?) seems to work better for handheld shots. What's your experience with this?

Secondly, do you think it's worth the money getting a wide angle lens and filters? Wide angle would be nice, how often and when do you use the filters? I see great deals for these on all of the above on ebay.

Though I do like the battery charger that comes with the camera, was a little disappointed that the camera does not come with an ac adaptor. It should. Takes a while to load the pictures onto the pc and I'm sure uses a lot of battery juice. I'm getting the adaptor.

My iRiver H320 mp3 player will play photos...but I cannot load photos directly on to it. Can someone recommend a relatively inexpensive portable storage system for travel?

Scene modes were impressive, especially (bear in mind I've used it 1 day) Party, Food, and Night Portrait. Looking forward to seeing how it does with Sports.

Excellent build quality, love the viewfinder and lcd's clarity.
dmargolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2006, 12:15 PM   #2

dmargolis wrote:
Quote:
Really, really like this camera. I noticed one of the Image Stabilizer settings (1?) seems to work better for handheld shots. What's your experience with this?
Quote:
While there are some that agree with you ,I do not find that to be the case at all
Quote:

Secondly, do you think it's worth the money getting a wide angle lens and filters? Wide angle would be nice, how often and when do you use the filters? I see great deals for these on all of the above on ebay.
Quote:
I do not feel a WA is very useful but I find lots of use for a polarizer and a ND8 filter...and a UV filter for protection.
Quote:

Though I do like the battery charger that comes with the camera, was a little disappointed that the camera does not come with an ac adaptor. It should. Takes a while to load the pictures onto the pc and I'm sure uses a lot of battery juice. I'm getting the adaptor.
Quote:
Do yourself a huge favor and get an inexpensive card reader and do not use the camera to transfer photos.
Quote:

My iRiver H320 mp3 player will play photos...but I cannot load photos directly on to it. Can someone recommend a relatively inexpensive portable storage system for travel?
Quote:
I have an inexpensive PSD(VosonicXdrive) and just today ordered a 100gbHyperdrive, the vosonic is just too slow.
Quote:

Scene modes were impressive, especially (bear in mind I've used it 1 day) Party, Food, and Night Portrait. Looking forward to seeing how it does with Sports.
Quote:
As with the rest of my answers they are only my opinion but I find very little use for the modes.
Quote:
Quote:
Excellent build quality, love the viewfinder and lcd's clarity.
Quote:

Those are just my opinions and may not be worth a darn to you.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 12:29 PM   #3

Thanks. Why is a card reader better than sending the photos from the camera? Faster? Better for the camera?
Old Apr 13, 2006, 4:31 PM   #4

Better ...faster and if you have a major malfunction would you rather a 6 dollar card reader bite the dust, or your 500 dollar camera.

Also there have been so many reports of the USB cable end at the camera, stops working...and then the camera needs to go for repair or buy a card reader then....

Pay me now or pay me later... Pay now and then you still have both options.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 9:25 PM   #5

dmargolis wrote:
Quote:
Thanks. Why is a card reader better than sending the photos from the camera? Faster? Better for the camera?
The card reader rliminates the need for the camera to download photos therfore conserving you battery.This eliminates the need for the AC adapter, which you wanted to get to conserve the battery.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 9:27 PM   #6

dmargolis wrote:
Quote:

I haven't really noticed the difference, but I wasn't really looking.

Old Apr 13, 2006, 9:41 PM   #7

Great, because the Panasonic ac adaptor lists for $80 bucks! Outrageous.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:20 PM   #8

dmargolis wrote:
Quote:
Great, because the Panasonic ac adaptor lists for $80 bucks! Outrageous.
When you get a card reader make sure you get USB 2.0...Most of them probably are. I assume you have 2.0 on your PC, but if you don't, it will just be slower transfer. I think the FZ30 camera is not 2.0 so a 2.0card reader should be faster. I find the card readeris easier then connecting a wire and fumbling with the camera while downloading.Just insert the SD card into the reader, plug thereader directly into a USB port on your PC. Mine also came with a extention cable for the spots on a PC where areader is tough to plug in.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:51 PM   #9

Great. Didn't realize card readers were so inexpensive. The mini usb port on the camera is a bit small and not so easy to get the cable in there. Thought I might bend the pins trying to jam it in there.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:21 PM   #10

dmargolis wrote:
Quote:

I don't have a wide angle yet. I felt I would use a tele lens much more than a wide angle right now. I went with the Olympus TCON-17. Threads right on to the FZ30 and is one of the better choices for the FZ30, but there are others. Given the choice between a few good ones, I prefer to go without a step-up adapter. If and when I do buy a wide angle it will probably be the Olympus WCON-08B, which does require a 55 to 62mm adapter. They also make the WCON-08, which is 55mm, but it didn't get as gpod a review as the "B" version and it is also more expensive.I do have a Hoya Multicoated filter UV filter installed on the FZ30, mostly to protect the camera lens. I leave the filter on all the time and just add the tele when ready. The filter also protects the camera threads since it is always on. Threading lenses and other filters constantly increases the chances of cross threading the camera threads. Due to the weight of add-on lens, it feels like it is easier to cross thread than just adding a filter. I'd much rather damage the threads on a filter, though I've never done it.I am careful when installing something, but wouldn't want tohave that one "Oh S**t experiance ruin my day.