Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 15, 2006, 10:14 PM   #1

Hello,

I know a lot of you may not be professional wrestling fans, but I took this picture at WrestleMania 22 in Chicago, IL with my Panny FZ-7. I tested out my camera a few times beforehand to become familiar with the camera, and after the big event (at least to me), I had a couple questions regarding capturing pictures with this great camera:

1) The FZ-7 has 2 modes to prevent camera jitter.Mode 1assists you whilefocusing the picture;even though mode 2only assists during picture capture, the manual says that it helps prevent jitter even more (at least that's whatI interpreted the manual to say). Is there one mode that you recommend over the other?

2) Does burst mode only work when there is no flash?

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the camera. I experimented with the settings throughout the event to see what worked. The joystick works great for photography novices that want to learn more about the manual settings. The high angle LCD mode proves to be quite helpful when there's a crowd of people between you and your subject.

A Shadow in Flames

fatalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2006, 11:20 PM   #2

WOW! very dramatic shot.

On the issue of OIS, I leave mine on 2 all the times and it seems to work well for me.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 11:43 PM   #3

fatalysis -

That picture's kind of scary:shock:but I like it!

With OIS, I have found that in mode 1, I get a sense that my hands are steady when they're really not. In mode 2 if I'm a little shaky, I can tell and can make adjustments to steady myself.

I can't say for sure on the FZ7, but on the FZ30 burst modes are disabled when the the flash is active. I suspect this is true for all the FZ's and most other digital cameras.
RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 3:28 PM   #4

Good photo. Reminds me of Arnold Schwarzenegger emerging from flames in about a dozen movies. :lol:

Thanks, rduve, for the spelling correction on Arnie's name!
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:20 AM   #5

LadyhawkVA wrote:
Quote:
Good photo. Reminds me of Arnold Schwartzeneger (I know I didn't spell that right - does anyone have a clue how to spell it?) emerging from flames in about a dozen movies. :lol:

It is SCHWARZENEGGER. I know since Ia) am German, b) live in California where he is Governor, and c) have a built-in spellchecker in my brain.

:?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:33 AM   #6

I always leave mine in mode 2, unless using a tripod, in which case I shut OIS off.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:25 PM   #7

trooplewis wrote:
Quote:
I always leave mine in mode 2, unless using a tripod, in which case I shut OIS off.

Same here. Mode 2 is more effective. It just might APPEAR to be last effective because it only engages when the shutter is released. Mode 1 is engaged all the time, so the image is stabilized when you aim at the subject. That's why some people probably think it is better.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 8:46 PM   #8

trooplewis,

i just purchased a tripod for my camera. why would you turn the OIS off when you use a tripod?
fatalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 8:48 PM   #9

because a sturdy tripod is there to prevent camera shake. so there is no need for IS. However, I am not sure if there would be any detriment to leaving it on.....
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:43 AM   #10

With OIS on the camera is looking for a degree of movement to cancel out.
I believe I read where you should turn OIS off when the camera is on a tripod because there is no significant movement to detect and the OIS may in fact work against a sharp result.

cheers,

Max

Puddock is offline   Reply With Quote