Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 16, 2006, 1:37 PM   #1
PK1

Here is a shot of dogwood blossoms taken this morning with the FZ7.

It was made in EZ extra-zoom mode, originally at 2048x1360 size, downsized to 700 pixel width for posting. There is no post-processing on the image except for levels correction and resizing. This was shot at full zoom, + EZ in-camera cropping, at 27x in-camera digital zoom. The 35mm equivalent focal length becomes 972mm.

The lens is only stopped down to f4.5. The shutter speed is 1/125 and it's handheld, with the subject about 30 ft away. There's no way photos like this should come out as anything but a fuzzy blur, let alone be keepers! Ridiculous.

PK

Attached Images

PK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2006, 2:15 PM   #2

works for me. nice color and exposure balance. lovely lighting. I doubt the digital added any effect that cropping in post processing couldn't have achieved as well.
Thats a dandy camera.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 2:49 PM   #3
PK1

Thanks for the kind words Tazzie. The light was beautiful, as you commented, but full overcast and pretty dim, requiring a (relatively) slow shutter speed, and open aperture. Obviously you could crop a full frame image and get the result, but the ability to compose the final picture right there in the viewfinder is compelling. What's most surprising is the lens quality at full zoom, and the extreme stablization correction the camera must pull off in order to make such images possible.

PK
Old Apr 16, 2006, 7:56 PM   #4

Lovely shot! Very sharp and good composition.

The zoom???... Why do you think the panasonic forum is the hottest one, period!!!

Thanks LEICA......It puts all the kit lenses that come with DSLRs to shame,

Hiroshi

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 6:09 PM   #5
rfn

awesome.....

more reasons for me to get one...........:-)
rfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 7:06 PM   #6

Tazzie wrote:
Quote:
works for me. nice color and exposure balance. lovely lighting. I doubt the digital added any effect that cropping in post processing couldn't have achieved as well.
Thats a dandy camera.
Minor correction, PK1/Taz...

The Extended OPTICAL Zoom isn't digital - its an in-camera crop that is metered for the exposure which is not available when doing a crop on a PC later. Digital zoom interpolates the smaller image up to a larger size; the EOZ is an optical image on the chip at full (albeit reduced) resolution with no upsizing...

Or did you also use digital zoom when image was taken?

Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 11:47 PM   #7
PK1

Telecorder,

Yes, that photo was taken using both the EZ extended optical zoom crop, along withdigital zoom, with the in-camera zoom indicator reading "27x". That's why the result surprised me, especially considering it was hand-held, in non-optimum light. From the experiences I've had so far with the FZ7, I'd say don't be afraid to use a moderate amount of digital zoom, if that's what it takes to frame and compose the shot. Its quality appears to be at least as good as Photoshop's basic interpolation routine, and much quicker to accomplish.

PK
Old Jun 20, 2006, 5:30 AM   #8

Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:
Lovely shot! Very sharp and good composition.

The zoom???... Why do you think the panasonic forum is the hottest one, period!!!

Thanks LEICA......It puts all the kit lenses that come with DSLRs to shame,

Hiroshi

Hiroshi, while I also was a devoted FZ user before getting my KM 5D, I think you have to expand your horizon. The Tamron 28-300 (effective 42-450) lens that I added for $149 to the KM 5D ($550) compares quite well to the, without a doubt, fantastic Leica lens. Sure, I lose a couple of f-stops in the tele-range, but ISO 3200 still looks better than ISO 400 on my FZ30. So, it's really not such a slam dunk. The FZ's are fine cameras, but none of them can quite compare in image quality and dynamic range to a DSLR withits 10 times larger sensor. While I love this group here, it sometimes feels a little cultish, to be frank. Like daily self affirmation of "noise isn't really an issue, right? Everyone in unison now: noise isn't really an issue, right?" It was to me! Not in your run-of-the-mill daytime shots, but in low-light situations, indoor sports shooting, etc. Nothing compares to being able to shoot with an image stabilized DSLR, an f1.7lens and usable ISO up to 3200 for indoor modeling shots (no flash), and then to just switch out lenses and reattach my 28-300 ultra-zoom to got on an outside photo tour. I am very happy I made the move up. And it was a move UP!

However, I am considering rejoining this family by getting an FZ5 or FZ7, or possibly the TZ1 to add as a compact ultra-zoom for backup purposes. The FZ's are great all-in-one ultra-zooms, but not the "ne plus ultra". And there is no reason to sympathize with us poor DSLR users for not seeing the light of the FZ's superiority over anything else.

Sorry, just had to get this off my chest.

:-)

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries

PS: The shot above isdecent, given the distance, but the digital artifacts are definitely visible.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote