Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 20, 2006, 9:29 AM   #11

Rainer I wasn;t too impressed with those at dcresource either and so am waiting for the full reviews from Steve, phil/simon @dpreview and the other sites before making any conclusions.

Here's a couple of ISO 800 shots from the new Canon A700:

http://dcresource.com/reviews/canon/...ghtshot800.jpg

http://dcresource.com/reviews/canon/..._0091-crop.jpg

Just shows how bad high ISO's are in the P&S's except the Fuji F10/11.

Cheers

HArj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 1:43 PM   #12

Yeah, those are pretty shabby, too. Glad I got my Fuji F11, just wish it also had a 10x zoom and OIS...
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:42 PM   #13

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, those are pretty shabby, too. Glad I got my Fuji F11, just wish it also had a 10x zoom and OIS...
I'm in the market for a pocket camera for my wife just so she stays away from my FZ30. When I first heard about the TZ1 a couple of weeks ago, I thought it might be a good choice. Ienjoy the photographs you post and I strongly value your opinion. Do you really feel the Fuji F11 picture isso much better that I should overlookits limited zoom. I don't neccessarily need as much as the 10X power of the TZ1, but not sure 3X would make me happy. My wife wouldn't know the difference unless I pointed it out, but I might use it on occasions when the FZ30 is just to big to lug around. I see there is also an F30, which has an enhanced LCD and some other minor differences, but I'm not sure I like the flatter profile of the hand grip area compared to the F11. I have not held or seen either model in person, but the F11 looks like it might be more natural to hold than the F30.The funny part of this whole thing is when I started shopping for myself, I almost purchased a Casio pocket cam and ended up with an FZ30. I almost am thinking I should get her an FZ7, because she isn't going to pocket it anyway, but I guess I should take her out to get a feel for what she is comfortable with in terms of size.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 3:31 AM   #14

Thanks for your kind words. I really think the quality of the images of the Fuji is amazing for a small cam like that. It rivals DSLR's. It does also pretty well up to ISO 1600, but not anything as good as my Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D dSLR, but signifcantly better than the FZ30 at ISO400. I like the F11 better than the F10 because it has manual exposure controls, and I felt the flash underexposed on the F10, but maybe I just had a bad unit. The F11 is import only. I found a place that sold it on-line for $283, but I forgot where. Do a search for it.

I can't tell you about your need for a greater zoom. I only use it for purposes when I know the greater zoom is not needed. It is great for parties, etc. when you don't want to bring equipment with you. It does a fine job with its assist beam and low light focus. It also does great for ebay shots, and is fantastic for macros. But the limited zoom is an issue if you are used to the 12x. My issue with the TZ1 is not just that its high ISO performance is weak, but that all the samples that I have seen, even those in good lighting, are very soft and substandard in my opinion.

Here is a shot I took of my son, Myles, and myself at a Clippers game last weekend.The Fuji F11is very handy for those kind of snapshots.

Attached Images

Old Apr 21, 2006, 3:40 AM   #15

...and here are my two little boys, just after waking up, with the curtains still drawn, in natural light at ISO 1600 with the Fuji F11. Noisy, but quite usable.

Attached Images

Old Apr 21, 2006, 3:45 AM   #16

...and here is a portrait in macro mode of Tanner. A litttle soft, maybe slightly out of focus, but it serves well for a portrait shot.Enough of the F11. I want to see some good shots form the TZ1. So far I have not.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries

Attached Images

Old Apr 21, 2006, 3:58 AM   #17

Oh, one more thing: I love the F11 to slip in my pocket when I go jogging in the morning and to take close up flower shots in its "Chrome" mode which mimics the highly saturated Fuji chrome films. Here is an example. I wish somebody would come up with an compact ultra zoom that takes comparable pictures. So far I have seen no evidence that the TZ1 does. Ok, Rainer, go to sleep now, and let others talk....

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries

Attached Images

Old Apr 21, 2006, 3:58 AM   #18

sorry double post

Old Apr 21, 2006, 4:58 AM   #19

fuji's super-ccd is indeed a jewel. too bad they use xd cards and not sd which is more popular.

rduve, absolutely great performance at iso1600! it's comparable to iso200 (or even iso100) of my former fz30. great cameras the panasonics but unfortunately very very noisy (except maybe for the lc1 which presently is hard to find and quite expensive).

i've been looking at fujis for a while now. looking to buy one as an extra digicam to my nikon d50. f30 looks good but i haven't seen it for sale anywhere. also f650's not bad either. does the f650 have the super-ccd hr as the f30? anyone know anything about that?
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 8:47 AM   #20

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Oh, one more thing: I love the F11 to slip in my pocket when I go jogging in the morning and to take close up flower shots in its "Chrome" mode which mimics the highly saturated Fuji chrome films. Here is an example. I wish somebody would come up with an compact ultra zoom that takes comparable pictures. So far I have seen no evidence that the TZ1 does. Ok, Rainer, go to sleep now, and let others talk....

Looks like it does a good job.
Meatwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote