Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 21, 2006, 8:53 AM   #21

rduve wrote:
Quote:
TI can't tell you about your need for a greater zoom. I only use it for purposes when I know the greater zoom is not needed. It is great for parties, etc. when you don't want to bring equipment with you. It does a fine job with its assist beam and low light focus. It also does great for ebay shots, and is fantastic for macros. But the limited zoom is an issue if you are used to the 12x. My issue with the TZ1 is not just that its high ISO performance is weak, but that all the samples that I have seen, even those in good lighting, are very soft and substandard in my opinion.

I noticed the issue with softness and that bothered me more than any noise in those links.

What do you think of the F30 compared to the F11? I like the fact that it has a higher resolution on the LCD. I seeit also add ISO 3200...not sure if that is critical orrelistically usable. There some additional changes I noticed in a side by side comparison, but nothing to write home about. I do prefer the grip style better on the F11.

Thething that makes me hesitate on the Fuji is I see a couple of reportedissues on the F11 with inadvertantly opening the zoom while it is obstructed causing damage to the mechanism. Casio had a smiliar well known issue with the EX-Z750 but addressed in later production runs andwith the introduction of the EX-Z850. I also wish the Fujis utilized SD cards so I could stay with the sameformat as my FZ30 and my camcorder. While that is not an absolute reason not to go Fuji, it just one of those annoying compromises that we sometimes have to make.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 5:54 PM   #22

Thank you. I am not here to trash the TZ1. I want it to be a good camera. Its features are very very tempting. So, maybe it's just that all the shots I have seen were due to poor photography. So, I am also looking forward to some independent reviews and comparisons. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 7:20 PM   #23

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
What do you think of the F30 compared to the F11? I like the fact that it has a higher resolution on the LCD. I seeit also add ISO 3200...not sure if that is critical orrelistically usable. There some additional changes I noticed in a side by side comparison, but nothing to write home about. I do prefer the grip style better on the F11.

Thething that makes me hesitate on the Fuji is I see a couple of reportedissues on the F11 with inadvertantly opening the zoom while it is obstructed causing damage to the mechanism. Casio had a smiliar well known issue with the EX-Z750 but addressed in later production runs andwith the introduction of the EX-Z850. I also wish the Fujis utilized SD cards so I could stay with the sameformat as my FZ30 and my camcorder. While that is not an absolute reason not to go Fuji, it just one of those annoying compromises that we sometimes have to make.

I have not done any research on the F30. Don't know the answer to your questions. But I figure it has the same sensor and image quality with improved features, not sure.

Regarding the zoom issue, I have not experiened this. Camera is very well built.

Regarding xd cards, well, yeah it would be nice to have all cards of one type. I have three cameras with three different kinds of cards (CF for my KM Maxxum 5D, SD for my Panasonic FZ30, and xd for the Fuji F11), but I just put each into its slot of my $5 card reader and its no big deal. The xd card works just as well as the others. Any limitations in speed would not really come into play unless one shoots RAW's in burst mode, which you could not do with a compact anyway.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 9:04 PM   #24

Here some samples I take from TZ1 yesterday at the Panasonic Road show in Singapore.

#ISO test all in 10x optical zoom 100% crop no resize

Below image is taken with 1x optical zoom (no zoom)
Attached Images

armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 9:08 PM   #25

....not too bad. would like to see more regular outdoor shots. Most of what I have seen has been taken in bad lighting and the shots came out soft and blurred. And also full sized shots at the high ISO settings. Those crops don't tell me too much on how the noise reduction affects the whole image.