Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 18, 2006, 7:35 AM   #1

after much consideration, I'm almost settled on the FZ7 simply cos size matters! (vs FZ30) ...i'm a girl...i hv small hands :roll:

However,found the built in flash's notenough to shoot indoors with, can anyonehelp reccomenda slave flash thats works well with the FZ7? won't be ashamed to say the set up must be asIDIOT PROOFEDas possible, andwith a swivel/rotating head so I can bounce the flash off the ceiling...THANKS!!!

(I've got to help a friend shoot her wedding picts, held indoors in a flourescent lit hall... not the most flattering of lights! Ialready havea very beloved and well usedFZ1 but needmore MPs)
pooky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2006, 1:02 PM   #2

pooky7,

I have the Vivtar DF200 unit. Works fine with my FZ7 good power for the price. You can also look at a couple of Phoenix units, the D92 and D91. As I understand it they both work. Basically you just need a slave that can be adjusted for preflash. I think you can find all of the ones I mentioned on ebay or B&H.

I got my Vivtar used on ebay but If you have a time consideration it's hard to beat the service of a vendor like B&H.

Hope you shoot goes well. Post some results when you can.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 7:00 AM   #3

pooky7, I just got the Vivitar DF200 (and a StoFen Omnibounce) for my FZ5 and am very pleased with the way it performs.

The DF200 is very easy to setup & use. First I shot in manual and aperture priority mode, but then I noticed I can get just as good pictures in P mode just by adjusting the power of the flash.

The DF200 seems to have a very good IR-sensor. I've tried blocking out the built-in flash with this and that, for instance with a couple of layers of exposed film when shooting my cats indoors - no problem for the DF200.

I use rechargeable batteries, cycle time is about 1-3 seconds. I also like the bracket that comes with the flash - some here have called it cumbersome, but I think it works great.

Only downside with the flash (and any other slave flash, for that matter) is that it will go off whenever it detects a flash, whether it's yours or someone else's. The DF200 does have a hold button, though.
makarjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 5:33 AM   #4

Thanks for replying guys! :bye:

Brett, you mentioned

"Basically you just need a slave that can be adjusted for preflash."

I don't quite understand what that means, would you kindly explain a little more?
Old Apr 20, 2006, 6:31 AM   #5

BTW, I also posted in the FLASH discussion to get feedback between the vivitar and the phoenix D91 and D92.

I'm in Singapore, and I haven't found the Vivitar in shops here (I did see the phoenix). If all fails I would probably get it off B&H!

Of course if youdid consider bothas well,doshare why u chose the vivitar over the phoenix. Thanks again.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 9:22 AM   #6

pooky7 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for replying guys! :bye:

Brett, you mentioned

"Basically you just need a slave that can be adjusted for preflash."

I don't quite understand what that means, would you kindly explain a little more?
The DF200 has a switch that can be set to 1 preflash, 2 preflash or auto (learning) mode. If the slave unit does not have this feature, and some cheap small power ones don't, then it will fire during the preflash that the camera uses for setting the exposure rather then during the image capture primary flash. For some reason right now I don't remember which setting I use.

In any case the reasons I got the DF200 was;
  1. Adjustable power output via switch on unit [/*]
  2. Preflash settings for 1, 2 and auto [/*]
  3. Zoom, tilt, swivel head [/*]
  4. Fairly cheap to purchase[/*]
I think there are a few units out there now that are basically the DF200 with a different name on it. You can also find one at bugeyedigital.com that seems the same but it costs a little more I think. Look for the features I mentioned and see what you can find locally. Also do a search on this forum and you will find several posts that should help. Nick, Fred and a few others have posted very helpful info.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote