Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:03 PM   #1

Busy mom of 3 here, need a small compact cam for on the go or just pics around the house of the kids. Don't have time to post-process... want great, sharp, colorful pics right out of the camera. (BTW, we've been very pleased with the FZ3! Gotta love the "heart" mode!)

I'm intrigued by the SD700 but of course, it's not out yet, so there aren't any in-depth reviews. The 4 x opt zoom and IS are VERY nice features.

I've seen FMOORE'S pics here from his FX01... they all look beautiful. Even the one with the little girl holding the baby... what a great example of indoor low lighting. But was that run through neatimage or something similar?

I do need something that does well in low lighting - but what I might consider acceptable might be completely unacceptable to most of you. The pic I mentioned above is perfectly acceptable - and borderline perfect in my book.

Any suggestions? Something fast with great quality pics both indoors and out?

TN Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:05 PM   #2

Here's the link to the pic I'm talking about (thanks FMOORE!!)

http://fmoore.zoto.com/galleries/firstfx01/detail/28/
Old Apr 19, 2006, 4:58 PM   #3

Mary - None of those fx01 shots are post processed. IMO, it's kind of pointless to post shots demonstrating what the camera can do if they have been enhanced. The originals can be accessed by clicking on the the link in the upper right hand corner of each shot. You're certainly welcome to download the original andf print it as is or process it to your heart's content. The shot of big sister and little brother (my grandchildren) was at 1/10s and iso200. In normal mode with the flash off, the max iso is 200, which IMO is just fine since iso400 is too noisy. A shutter speed of 1/10s requires the children to be still. The fx01 can go as high as iso1600 in high sensitivity scene mode, so there is the option to get the shutter speed faster. The quality decrease quite a bit but you get the shot and it's good enough for web/email and 4x6 prints. Nice little camera.

- Fred

Btw, I also have the fz1v2 (for ir) and the fz5.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 5:23 PM   #4

Fred... thanks for the response.

In your opinion, should I wait for the Canon SD 700 or go ahead and get the FX01?

On paper, they're very similar... the wide lense ofthe FX01 is nice, especially for upcoming beach trips. But not essential.

I'm wondering (as the rest of the world)how the SD 700 is going to doin the higher ISO range now that it has IS.

Of course, I sure do like the price tag on the FX01MUCH better. And your shots are just gorgeous... especially now that I know they're straight from the camera.

Old Apr 19, 2006, 10:04 PM   #5

[align=left]The fx01 28mm wa is the main reason I got it. That and the ultra compact size. The sd700 is 35mm, so that would not be on my list. It's also a little bigger/heavier but not by much. I guess it will really come down to the quality of sd700 iso800 vs the fx01 iso800. If the sd700 is significantly better then that might be the one to go with. But the fx01goes up to iso1600. Why does the sd700 stop at iso800? That would suggest that the fx01 high sensitivity might be better. I have found the fx01 pretty effective up to iso1250 and beyond (see iso1600 shot below). The sd700 can't go there.

All in all, considering the price differential (~$100), the 28mm wa, the higher iso capability, and the fact you are already happy with the Leica lens in your fz3, why wait for the sd700 when you can get the fx01 now?

FX01, 1/20s, iso1600

[/align]
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 10:26 PM   #6

Thanks Fred. Nice shot of the flower!

Just to add to my confusion, I've looked at the SD600 too. No IS, but it does go up to ISO 800.

Then I read this thread about someone who bought both the FX01 and the SD600 and took them BOTH back. He lists a long list of negatives on the FX01. This is just so confusing! :?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17578954

Again, I'm not HUGELY concerned about low light performance. The pics I've wanted to enlarge in the past have always been outdoor shots. BUT it would be nice to know that my cam COULD take some good low light shots if need be. I did buy the Fuji F10 then returned it. After researching it longer, seemed like it was bit too quirky and needed a lot of PP to get decent shots. Plus the outdoor shots seemed to be not as good as say the Panasonics and Cannons.

Old Apr 19, 2006, 10:44 PM   #7

I have an FZ5 and an FX9 (predecessor to the FX01, which should have been an FX10). Great camera, OIS should be mandatory in anything that small. But the nice thing is that if you are used to the Panny menus in any of the FZ's or FX's, they are all very similar and you will feel right at home when you change cameras instead of having to rethink the Canon menu system.

Oh yeah, the pictures in the FX are great too. I had an original FX7, which I lost, and replaced it with the FX9 because I had no complaints about it at all.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote