Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:50 PM   #1

Geese found a pretty spot

roger (The Old Newbie)

Here is what is left of the house right up the road from the pond.

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2006, 1:01 PM   #2

Hi Roger,

Hope you don't mind a little constructive criticism. To be honest I've never been a fan of superimpositions (your oval bird in the first picture) becauseit looks unnatural, but that's just me. We all have our opinions about photography, so please take this for what it is, just one person's opinion, so here it goes....ifI was going to superimpose the goose, I would have done it as I've illustrated in the picture below for a more natural look.The scenery in yoursecond picture has allot of merit and potential. A dilapidatedcabin in the countryside always offers a great photographic opportunity.

My suggestion to you is to get closer to your subject. I've given you a couple of possibilities below. Due to the lack of resolution on the picture, I couldn't get any closer but if I couldI would. The texture of the logs, light and shadows etc., with that gorgeous background scenery, could create some very interesting and beautiful pictures. Since you love trains, I would also suggest closer shots, even of the different sections of the train in morning or late afternoon light where shadows create more interest and depth. You have excellent potential and obviously a passion to experiment and work out of the box. I encourage you to keep at it and I'm looking forward to your pictures in future posts.

Hiroshi
Attached Images

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 1:16 PM   #3

Here's your second picture cropped a little closer to offer you yet another possibility.

Hiroshi
Attached Images

Old Apr 20, 2006, 1:35 PM   #4

Thank you very much. I am always looking for ideas & suggestions.

thanks again

roger (The Old Newbie)
Old Apr 20, 2006, 3:27 PM   #5

Roger, forgive me but I couldn't agree more with Hiroshi. I wanted to mention your superimpositionsbut I didn't want to hurt your feelings. Do your self a favor,take Hiroshi's advise.

Macnite.
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 3:38 PM   #6

thehotel wrote:
Quote:
Thank you very much. I am always looking for ideas & suggestions.

thanks again

roger (The Old Newbie)
As Colombo would say...."Just one more thing" and I'm sure you know this already, but I wanted to remind you about the "Rule of Thirds" (the picture is divided into 9 sections, 3 vertical and 3 horizontal). The point of interest ina picture should fall very close one of the fourpoints in the grid.

Isuperimposed the grid over the #2 picture I cropped to illustrate the point.
Attached Images

Old Apr 20, 2006, 4:12 PM   #7

I never heard of that before. "The rule of thirds" I don't have much schooling most everything I do I just learn by trial and error. Any help is appreciated it will not hurt my feelings.

Are you saying the old house should be in the center grid to the right of where it is??????

Thanks again,

roger
Old Apr 20, 2006, 5:09 PM   #8

thehotel wrote:
Quote:
I never heard of that before. "The rule of thirds" I don't have much schooling most everything I do I just learn by trial and error. Any help is appreciated it will not hurt my feelings.

Are you saying the old house should be in the center grid to the right of where it is??????

Thanks again,

roger
Actually he is showing that the version he cropped has a proper use of the rule of thirds. The original was more centered then the one with the overlay.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 6:03 PM   #9

I think I am starting to get the idea. BUT!!!! some questions???

What is the correct way to get what I want accomplished????

I really am trying to learn how to get good photos and I print out every
suggestion and go our the front door and do a couple of practice shots
trying out what was suggested.

Once again to everybody who has spent time trying to help me THANK YOU.

My question is????? How do I get a good photo when my goal is show my
customer and show a different photo as part of the 1st photo?????

When we take a client out on a camera hunt for wildlife they take home a
photo album of their hunt. I want the photos to remind them of that
particular animals hunt. This way when they are showing other people
their photos from the hunt they can point out
1. This is where we found the Deer and this is what we had to do to get
close enough for a close up.
2. Here is the close up we got and it took us 25 minutes to get to where
we could get the close up.
3. Here I am getting the photo.

Keeping this in mind the extra photos I put on the original can't look
natural or the finished piece wouldn't be telling the story we are
trying to tell. BUT!!!! I do want to get good photos.

Here is an example of a photo one of my clients took home. In this sample we had to go to 3 different locations to get the close-ups. I have put in
some arrows to show what the story is. I figured this would make it more
fun for my client when he showed it to friends or family and would make
it more fun for the people he is showing it to because as he told the
story the photo would allow them to follow the story much easier.

roger (The Old Newbie)

Old Apr 20, 2006, 7:32 PM   #10

I think I get what you're trying to say....

There is a difference between taking a photograph forart sake and a photo that is created for illustration (business) purposes or advertising purposes. I now understand the oval and circle superimpositions if you're relying on one photograph to tell the whole story.

Even in business photography many of the same photographic principals apply. The key here is tho show the story through your customers eyes so the angles you shoot your customers with cameras in hand should be more behind them seeing the foreground in a closer way as they see it through their eyes. Very similar as to how a cinematographer shoots scenes in a movie..........................

But to be honest, this forum is not a commercial photographers forum.

The Panasonic forum's main focus is the discussion of Panasonic cameras and add-on photographic equipment for the specific purpose of takingbetter artistic photographs.

My suggestion to you is to concentrate on taking good photographs pure and simple. The rest will follow naturally.

There are many books on the subject of how to take better photographs, and if you search the net you will find similar resources free for viewing and downloads. The marketing part should come later. The sole purpose for posting on this forum should be to share ideas about equipment, give honest opinions to help others improve on their photographic skills, and notsolely focused on getting feedback on advertising photography for your business.

BTW - I've noticed that your pictures are 300 pixels per square inch, you should change them to 72 pixels per square inch and then resize the picture to 800pixels by 600 pixels so that they will show up larger on the forum. It will make them easier to view.

Hope this helps

Hiroshi