Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 20, 2006, 9:04 AM   #1

A fellow sent me a mount and sight he assembled for me to try ..I believe I posted here before that I feel its well made and very functional.

It seems he is selling them On Ebay now.....I am sure a search on Ebay for Kwik Aim would turn them up.

He also does a good job of descibing them at the site but if anyone is unfamiliar they are very useful for birds in flight also for fast moving sports. They overcome the delay in the EVF.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3AIT&rd=1

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...amp;category0=

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2006, 9:33 AM   #2

Genece, have you used this sight and what is your take on it. Does it mount direct to the hot shoe on the FZ30. Does the mount come with the sight? I am interested in it. How does one use it? I am not familiar with theRDS, and how it operates.

Thanks for the info.

Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:05 AM   #3

Thanks for the link. I've been thinking about getting a RDS for awhile. This is the best price that I've found for the total system: sight + mount. I just ordered it, so I should be able to try it out shortly.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:12 AM   #4

Thanks Gene, I also just ordered the RDS from the link on E-Bay. Reckon I will learn how to use it when it arrives. As you noted the information was on his site as to the mount, etc.

Jerry

P. S. Disregard my first post.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:28 AM   #5

bayourebel wrote:
Quote:
Genece, have you used this sight and what is your take on it. Does it mount direct to the hot shoe on the FZ30. Does the mount come with the sight? I am interested in it. How does one use it? I am not familiar with theRDS, and how it operates.

Thanks for the info.

Jerry

Yes it does mount to the hot shoe and it even has a sync terminal so you can still use an external flash while this is mounted. I am not sure thats a big point but its so.

And you can buy the mount (18 bucks)or the complete package (27 dollars)

I have used this sight, in fact two versions of it and several I made myself...this is by far much better than what I made.

What you do to use it, is you mount it and get italigned which is a one time operation.

That is one very nice thing about this one you can remove it and when you remount it the sight is still aligned very nicely. (he includes instructions about the aligning)

It projects a dot onto the screen and you can hold the camera out away from your body and follow along with the dot aligned on the subject (bird or race car) things like that. When the dot is aligned and if your using a center focus you snap the picture and about 1 out of 3 generally will be in focus. I have followed allong with eagles and got 35 in focus shots out of 40 or so but usually my hit rate is not that high.

You need to do some experimenting to find what focus mode works for you ...most people with the FZ30 use 1 area fast focus for sports but the 3 area can be used for birds against a sky.

Perhaps someone else can do a better job explaining... it takes some practice but it is much easier than trying to use the EVF or LCD on a moving subject.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 2:14 PM   #6

Genece thanks for posting about RDS and for replying to my first post asking questions about the sight. When I went to the link, a lot was explained and the price was too good to pass up. Ordered right then.

Jerry
Old Apr 20, 2006, 2:33 PM   #7

That really is why I posted about that...its very cheap for how well its made and while I do not get to use one much around here, when I am on vacation those things get a workout .....herons, eagles ,osprey and such.

I really do not know how he can sell them so cheap...hes not planning on getting rich.

They also are helpful for picking wildlife out of the woods when your using a teleconverter or two. If you have tried that you know that can also be frustrating.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 3:57 PM   #8

Gene, thanks for the link...looks like a great little tool

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 7:42 PM   #9

Thanks Gene. I just asked him about postage to far flung places like Australia.
I am sure a few of us down here could use one.
Cheers,
Max
Puddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 9:53 PM   #10

I do know he is new to this Ebay thing so it may take him a while to find out....but he seems like a real nice fellow.