Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:57 PM   #1

I've been reading the posts about these adapters, but I don't know if one is any better than the other. Some friends will be in China and could pick up a Phayee for me, so I need to decide today if I'll have them do it. I think they'll be in Shanghai to do some shopping, any suggestion on where they should look for it?
I'd appreciate any comments on both. TIA!!
I should add that for now I want one primarily for lens protection. I also need to know exactly what to have them buy. I have a lot to learn! Thanks!
ratherbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2006, 1:45 PM   #2

I have a Phayee and it works just fine.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 3:20 PM   #3

by all accounts, they do the same basic thing, and are both of good quality. the Phayees are all metal, but Pemaraal makes them in both aluminum and Delrin, which is an industrial plastic. Phayees are also 62mm only, while Pemaraal adapters can be had in 62mm, 58mm, and 55mm filter sizes.

i have a Phayee on my FZ20, which i've had for over a year, and it has served me perfectly. i never take it off, sinceit holds the UV/lensprotectionfilter, i have never had the slightest problem with it. i have never used a Pemaraal adapter, so i can't speak for the quality, but it's a pretty simple device, so i'd expect the quality to be similar. in the end, there probably isn't a whole lot of difference between them, and i imagine you'll be satisfied with either one.

the only place i've heard to get the Phayee is through very helpful fellow named Rong Jin. i don't know if he has a walk-in store or not; he sells mostly on ebay. Do a search for "Phayee" and i expect you'll find him.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 3:55 PM   #4

I have the pemaraal adaptor on my FZ20 and it's very good. I've never used the phayee but I've read only good things about it. I think either one will meet your needs.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 4:43 PM   #5

Your friends may also be able to get a Yoshida adapter in China it is a well made adapter as is Lovelifes adapter ...Look for Cring adapter on EBay.

And you do want an adapter for the FZ20? correct?
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 6:09 PM   #6

here's the link to the ebay ad for Phayee adapters... $22.50 plus $6.50 shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHAYEE-Lens-Adap...QQcmdZViewItem

and here's one for Pemaraal...

http://www.pemaraal.com/fz10ac.html
Old Apr 21, 2006, 6:29 PM   #7

You guys are no help! :-) You're supposed to make the decision for me.
Genece, yes, it's for my FZ20.
This is all so strange to me. I'm a 35mm film camera convert and my filter fit right on the lens of the camera, so I don't understand why they can't do it with digitals.
Is there a filter brand that is better than others? I don't want to put a bad one on a good lens.
Thanks to all of you!
ratherbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 9:17 PM   #8

like anything else, there are good filters and not-so-good ones. generally, Hoya is a very good line, and not excessively pricey.

some digicams do come with filter threads on the lens barrel, like 35mm SLR's, but unfortunately, Panasonic didn't do that with the FZ20. that's why the need for adapters. but once the adapter is in place, it simply becomes part of the camera, and you can put any filter on you want.