Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 21, 2006, 7:21 PM   #1

Howdy all,

I'd like to get a 3-stopgraduated ND filter for my FZ20 (hopefully soon joining the FZ30 club) but I've never seen a screw-in version (please feel free to point out if I've missed one!) so it looks like I'll have to dabble with the Cokin P holder and filters.

I was wondering how much of a hassle these are? As I'm going hiking, I'd prefer not to have to take filters on and off every minute - can I leave the filter in the holder (on the camera) - i.e. is it physically secured? Or is it gonna come tumbling out as soon as I start walking..?

Have never seen Cokin filters/holders in real life so not sure what to expect with regards their convenience, bulkiness, etc...
pibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:21 PM   #2

Check them ot here: http://www.cokin.com/
I am still using the ones I bought for my SLR-haven't dropped or lost one yet. Get the lens cap and protect the filter and lens.

Bobby Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 12:26 AM   #3

Hi Bobby

Thanks for the reply. You keep your Cokin filters in place - you don't remove then once you've finished shooting..?
pibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 9:49 AM   #4

I take them off and on like any other lens or filter, as needed. The Cokins use a ring to attach to the camera and the filter holder slides on to the ring. the holder holds up to 3 different filters which allows you to stack closeup lenses or filters. It also rotates when using graduated filters. The polarizer filter rotates within the filter holder. The Cokins work great and I like being able to quickly change or stack the filters. Hope this helps.
Bobby Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 7:32 PM   #5

Cokin is a good system. I still have mine from over 20 years ago.

But most of the effects they were designed to produce can now be achieved by software.

Also the squarish holder is not conducive to fitting a lens cap and the extra bulk is a minus.

Of course if you can ony get the filter you need from Cokin....

just my 2c.

Max
Puddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 9:13 AM   #6

i bought a bunch of cokin filters on ebay, they're great, easy to use and cheap! i ended up with 8-10 filters for about 40 bucks.most were graduated filters (1 green, 2 blue, 2 neutral density, 1 sun (orange) and a couple other ones). the bonus to the graduated filters is that on a digital camera, you can actually cover the entire lens for a full filtered effect with only half the filter (thats another nice thing about cokin, the filters can be adjusted by turning the mount, or moving the filter itself up and down within the mount). don't buy them at the store for $15-$20 bucks a pop. BH photo has some good prices if you need them ASAP, but ebay is by far the best place to buy them; people unload their old sets all the time, you can find great deals!

as a comment to the previous poster; the one thing you can't photoshop is a graduated effect (when photographing landscapes for example). either the sky ends up washed out or the landscape is too dark; sure you can meter it pretty well sometimes, but if you take alot of outdoors pictures with sky, the graduated filter effect can't be done as well in post processing as it can with the filters. i've got some pics online at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pxpaulx if anyone wants to check them out - in the camping section there are a few lake photos with the filters in use. comment if you like! (i'd post them here but at work i dont have access to flickr - and i mostly go online only at work!)

While you're there check out the action shots of our dog running around, i love the FZ30!

milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 9:29 AM   #7

My cokin system A (FZ5) will survive my current camera. I like the graduated filters for the same reasons mentioned above. Not all pictures can be done with extended bracketing and joining in photoshops HDR.

The cokin system fits to all of my camerasand can be used to attach objects to the lens. You see this with reversed lenses on my site:

http://www.geocities.com/seemolf/tec...sAndTicks.html

The quality is good enough, thesize is bulky.

Sven

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 3:11 PM   #8

You can get a round ND grad Tiffen or Heliopanfilter, but you will have much more control with Cokin system and it will be cheaper to add filters.

HTH
algold is offline   Reply With Quote