Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 22, 2006, 4:03 AM   #1

Hi all

just buying a real cheap flash to play with directional flash light.

this flash is: Achiever 321AZ Hot-Shoe Flash

I think the maz trigger voltage for the fz30 but icant seem to find the trigger info for this flash anywhere. does any have any idea what this could be and if not, what my chances are of this 24volts being sufficinet. please keep in mind this is a very very cheap flash so i dont htink it will be very grunty

thanks in advance

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2006, 6:37 AM   #2

Hi, Do not use that flash with the FZ30, it's trigger voltage is nearly 300v. You can find a list of flash units here,

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

The trigger voltage isn't what's needed to fire the flash it's the voltage the flash generates across the hot shoe contacts as it fires, higher voltages can damage the cameras internal circuitry.A better option would be the very popular Sunpak 383.
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 7:02 AM   #3

Woow thank you for that information. blwing up the cam is the last thing i want to do.

Other options are:
National PE-280C

On the table it mentions the PE-287S with a trigger of 8.3V is it safe to assume this will be the same for 280C.

Also what should the trigger voltage range i should be looking for. In the manual it mentions 24v????

Old Apr 22, 2006, 6:08 PM   #4

No problem :-)

One thing I've learned is NEVER assume anything!, the 280C could be completely different to the 287S, I've no data for that model but if you have access to a digital multimeter you can measure the voltage yourself, have a look at this thread in the Flash section,

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=53

The max permitted is 24v but I would always go for the lowest voltage you can get, the Sunpak is a very popular choice and quite inexpensive, I managed to get a Hanimex TZ36 dual flash hammerhead and bracket off Ebay for about £25, works very nicely with the FZ30, slight over exposurewhen not bounced but as I usually bounce it's not a problem :-)
Old Apr 23, 2006, 5:43 AM   #5

thanks for al your help

the guy i am buying this flash off is on an online trading website. He rekons bcse the unit runs on 4x AA batts (1.5v each) tht it wouldnt be more than 6volts.

i thoght flash units had capicitors in them to boost voltage.

Is what he saying down the right track or is he just in need of a quick sale/.'?

Old Apr 23, 2006, 3:48 PM   #6

You are right. The voltage is increased by the internal circuitry of the flash. My old Vivitar 283 also uses 4 AA batteries, so its voltage input is only 6 volts. The trigger voltage, measured at the hot shoe contacts when the flash is ready to fire, is over 250 volts. That's a lot mor ethen the 6 volt input!
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 4:31 PM   #7

Alright thanks everyone for your help. Seems impossible to find this information on the website.

I might have to do a conditional sale and measure it

ken

Old Apr 23, 2006, 7:50 PM   #8

Ken, I know I keep mentioning it but the Sunpak is highly recommended and you know it will work, is it not available in NZ?. An alternative which is certainly available in Australia at least is the Woctron 2800SC, looks to be the same gun as a Starblitz 2800DSF and has a trigger voltage of 6v.

http://centre.net.au/index.html?&red...mp;prid=000XBG
Old Apr 23, 2006, 8:15 PM   #9

phaedra1106 wrote:
Quote:
Ken, I know I keep mentioning it but the Sunpak is highly recommended and you know it will work, is it not available in NZ?. An alternative which is certainly available in Australia at least is the Woctron 2800SC, looks to be the same gun as a Starblitz 2800DSF and has a trigger voltage of 6v.

http://centre.net.au/index.html?&red...mp;prid=000XBG

ye ai wil have to have a look at some local stores. A quick google search of NZ oly bring up nothing on this pack

The reason why i want this one bcse it has been offered to me for only $37NZD. Thts about $20USD