Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:31 AM   #11

Great shots, Sven, can't decide for th best one, all of very high level.

Francesco
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 4:45 PM   #12

Excellent shots! All three are great but I like #3 most due to it's clean background and soft focus foreground (think that's called bokeh, right?).

/Per
PeHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 5:49 PM   #13

jussiuk wrote:
Quote:
Simply fantastic! I have yet to manage such clarity on my FZ5. My pics really suffer from noise. Seems to be me rather than the camera as you have produced such noise free (almost) photos.
Jussi, all (!) of my pictures are taken with ISO 80.
I try to avoid underexposure now (eg. -2/3 EV). Underexposure improves the colours on first sight, but there is not enough distance to the noise level. Pushing the histogramm to the right side, but avoiding burnt highlights (!!) reduces noise. The colours can be restored in pp.

There would be no noise at all in these pictures, if I would have masked the sharp parts before sharping.

thanks Jussi, Max, Fred, Francesco and Per for the nice comments.

Per, the bokeh of fixed focus lenses is better, but I liked the foreground too!

Sven
seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 9:48 PM   #14

These are wonderful, are they a common creature in your area?
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 9:59 PM   #15

Sven, I am interested in your remarks about underexposure and that you use -2/3EV as standard. I have noted that this is advocated by other members of the forum and yet I have experienced quite the opposite (FZ20) on Auto. Most of my photos are taken outdoors and particularly with sea scenes (boats etc), theforegrounds are underexposed due to the sky being the dominant feature which sets the exposure . With my old camera Fuji I used to take 3 or so pictures advancing the exposure. I now using the Auto Bracket feature and select the best one. I suppose the subject is the deciding factor but I would be interested in other advice or comments...Fred
Bootneck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 3:22 AM   #16

thanks bayourebel,

these "Lizards of Haria" are very commonin the northern areasof Lanzarote. But most tourists are too loud and too fast moving to see them ;-)

Bootneck2 wrote:

Quote:
Sven, I am interested in your remarks about underexposure and that you use -2/3EV as standard. I have noted that this is advocated by other members of the forum and yet I have experienced quite the opposite (FZ20) on Auto. ......Fred
Hi Fred,

just read this article (and all these others at that site):

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...se-right.shtml

I amnot using -2/3 EV as a standard any longer.

- Histogramm is switched on all the time

- I try to push the histogramm "to the right side"

- I have activated the blown highlight warning in thereview screen (only for luminosity - better than nothing...).

With my new vest I have the opportunity touse the tripodsall the time. I am using auto bracketing in this case too (not for macros). There is a chance lateron to combine these shots with photoshops HDR tool. This might extend my contast range from 5 f-stops to 9 f-stops with not moving objects.

Sven

http://www.geocities.com/seemolf/tec...sAndTicks.html

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 8:56 AM   #17

Good photos.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote