Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 24, 2006, 6:31 PM   #1

Hi.

I am complety new to photography, and I've never owned a decent camera i my life. But long holidays on the west coast of Ireland has made me think about getting a decent camera. I've shot plenty of pictures with my father's Kodak DX6490, very pleased with the picture quality.

So I began looking for a camera that offered the same features, and stumpled upon the FZ5 at first, and now the FZ7. What I like about it is the size... compact yet possible to operate with large hands and stunning image performance. Also it should be possible to "progress" with camera, i.e. use the auto features at first, and then slowly progress towards the manual controls, correct?

All the review I've read (about 5), all say that the image noise is above normal and an issue with this camera. Is it something I should worry about at my current stage of experince ? What will this mean in real-life ?

Are there any immidiate alternatives I should consider along with the pana ?

Thanks in advance // Tak for hjælpen

Oh, btw., nice forums, I much enjoy all the pictures posted.

harritsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2006, 2:16 AM   #2

The Fz-7 has more options than the Fz5 a better buy with Manual Options the Fz5 lacks.

Noise has been proven to be not an issue, unless your working on certain shots. There are many many examples of the FZ-7's quality now to justify said comments. Price size and options with the lens and abilities to add attachments make it a nice camera.

You'll have to really make up your own mind on this one.

Have a burger and think it over...

Tim JL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 2:53 AM   #3

harritsoe wrote:
Quote:
Also it should be possible to "progress" with camera, i.e. use the auto features at first, and then slowly progress towards the manual controls, correct?

All the review I've read (about 5), all say that the image noise is above normal and an issue with this camera. Is it something I should worry about at my current stage of experince ? What will this mean in real-life ?

Thanks in advance // Tak for hjælpen

Oh, btw., nice forums, I much enjoy all the pictures posted.

Also it should be possible to "progress" with camera, i.e. use the auto features at first, and then slowly progress towards the manual controls, correct?
Yes i agree with what you are saying here. I started out using Auto modes then forced myself to learn and adapt to the manual modes. I just learnt through playing around.

Yes, noise in the pana series is generally above normal. Is this a problem??? Depends on you and your shooting requirements. I own a PANA ffz30 which is the highest spec dig (nonslr) from pana but also commented as the noisest of the pana series. For my use i have no problems with the noise in the shots. Noise will only occur when using hi iso levels. So on my cam iso400. (iso80-200 is fine) Im sure the fz7 has less noise than mine so you should be able to push more out of it. If you are into night photography and you like taking indoors shots without the use of flash then yes this may be an issue for you. Also if you shoot indoor sports lke basketball where photo situations arnt the greatest you may find tht increased noise may cause issues. AS i mentioned ealier the fz7 is ment to have much less noise than the 30. In fact i am posting some noise comparison shots in another forum in the next couple of days. So you can see what you think,

Short ans. in real like this means that you camera may not be as versatile in lo light situations or situation swhere a specific lighting situation may not support a hi shutter speed. (indoor sports) etc

yes there are so many cams out there in thi bracket of performance. Unfortunately i dont follow new cams very closely so i may be alittle out in reference to specs. Sony DSC-H5, Canon S3, maybe Fuji S5600. Personally i realy like the fz series from Pana.

This shot below was taken with my fz30. In these conditions the quality should be right on par with the fz7

ken

Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 3:50 AM   #4

Thank you for the response. I'll look at the other cameras.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 7:47 AM   #5

If you like the photos from the 6490 you should be impressed with the FZ7

I looked at the 6490 when I bought the FZ10 and felt it was not in the same league and the FZ7 is quite a bit above the FZ10 IMHO.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 6:39 AM   #6

I've bought the FZ7 and first impression are pretty satifactory. I like the sturdy contruction, the impressive picture quality on the "heart" (full automatic) setting. I'll pick up a dummies guide sometime in the next week to get the maximum performance.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 7:47 AM   #7

Congratulation on your pick on FZ7.
I'm sure you will enjoy it
Post some picture to share :idea:
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 8:16 AM   #8

Well done. The FZ series are very capable cameras. I have an FZ5, and it's a great camera for someone who is just starting out, but wants to gradually take more control. The FZ7 is even better for this purpose, as it has some positive improvements over the FZ5. All cameras have limitations, and the FZs are no exception... but I think that the FZ7 is probably the best-value camera around at the moment, considering its features, strong quality and price. Happy shooting!
v2-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 8:43 AM   #9

I posted these on another thread, but thought you might not see them..shot in p mode, no PP - just resized and border added. You'll LOVE this camera...I take mine everywhere!

Attached Images

Mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 8:47 AM   #10

here's another I took the first day i got it!

Attached Images

Mare is offline   Reply With Quote