Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 28, 2006, 12:45 AM   #1

hey all, thought i'd drop in and post something. i haven't been using my FZ20 all that much lately - the 30D has been getting most of my attention of late, and the most use by far.i don't want to clog up the Panny forum with Canon photos, but if anyone's interested, i do post some on the Canon DSLR board, and in the wildlife and close-up forums as well...

anyway, i'm not gonna sell my FZ, like Rduve is selling his '30, i'll keep it around, because it still will do things i can't do (yet?) with the Canon. in any case, it's a great backup, and perfect for times when i don't want to lugthe DSLR around with me.

i did a little experiment this evening, taking some sunset shots with both, and oddly enough, i find the FZ20 photos more pleasing. it seems to pull out a little more, and more intense, color than the Canon. much as i love sunset photos, that alone is reason enough to keep the FZ20 in my kit! :G here's one example...

Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2006, 2:28 AM   #2

oooooh love that....

got a really nice feeling to it...

perhaps consider cropping a bit from the bottom and top to create a kinda panoramic shot, more unusual shape IMHO

Great though, hope i get some even nearly that nice

beesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 2:38 AM   #3

Where did you take it? Is that Lake Washington?
Very nice.
I don't know if you ever notice this or not, sometimes when there is scatter rain over Lake Washington like having rain and bright sunlight at the same time, if you are driving eastbound on the I-90 floating bridge at around 3 to 4 pm, if the timing and everything is right, you can see an almost complete half circle of rainbow over the lake directly in front of you. But most of the time I saw that when I was driving, so I never get the chance to take any pics.

Glad to see another Seattle member in here.

Where do you shop for you equipment usually? Or do you do them online most of the time?
misbehave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 8:52 AM   #4

Squirl...I made the mistake of selling my FZ20 when I bought my Nikon D50. I even got the Nikon 18-200mm lens because I was used to the 12x zoom of my FZ20.

I'm sorry I sold it, because there are just times when I don't want to lug around the Nikon. So I went and bought the FZ7..smaller, lighter, and takes excellent shots. I do love my Nikon - for various reasons (indoor sports shots of my son and church photog), but I just can't escape my love for the FZs. I take my fz7 everywhere!
Mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 9:18 AM   #5

misbehave wrote:
Quote:
Where did you take it? Is that Lake Washington?
Very nice.
I don't know if you ever notice this or not, sometimes when there is scatter rain over Lake Washington like having rain and bright sunlight at the same time, if you are driving eastbound on the I-90 floating bridge at around 3 to 4 pm, if the timing and everything is right, you can see an almost complete half circle of rainbow over the lake directly in front of you. But most of the time I saw that when I was driving, so I never get the chance to take any pics.

Glad to see another Seattle member in here.

Where do you shop for you equipment usually? Or do you do them online most of the time?
yes, that's Lake Washington. i live on the Eastside, and this was taken from a street in Kirkland, overlooking the lake.

i do most of my shopping for camera gear online. the only chain stores around are Tall's and Kit's, both too expensive, and a few specialty stores like Glazer's (i avoid downtown Seattle at all costs) or Kenmore Camera (pretty spendy, but generally knowledgeable people). since i usually know exactlywhat i'm looking for, and most brick-n-mortar stores don't have it in stock, i just buy it online. plus i avoid the sales tax that way, and on a purchase of several hundred dollars or more, that can be a goodly sum! :G
Old Apr 28, 2006, 5:59 PM   #6

Nice photo squirl ....I will not be selling any of my FZs either.....they are great cameras.

But my D50 is getting lots of work and I am getting much stronger toting the 80 to 400OS along with me.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 2:19 AM   #7

how do you like that Sigma80-400, Gene? i've been getting some really nice results with mine... but they are heavy! fortunately, the tripod mount makes a really nice carrying handle, and the OS works so well, for most things i don't need a tripod. heresy, i know, but why carry something you don't need, especially when it slows you down shootnig moving subjects!
Old Apr 30, 2006, 9:40 PM   #8

Nice sunset Squirl, great color! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote