Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 29, 2006, 2:33 AM   #1

Hi all,

I am finally going to get a dSLR and upgrade from my FZ10. My FZ10 is two years old but still in perfect working order but I dont know if anyone would want to buy one. Do you guys think someone would buy it and if so how much?

Cheers

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2006, 7:54 AM   #2

While I think the FZ10 is still a fine camera ...I am not sure how much it will bring, but knowing the idiots on Ebay it may bring a thousand dollars.

But you may want to consider keeping it...especially if you use the long end of the zoom much.

A 400 mm lens for a DSLR can be quite large and inconvenient to carry everywhere.

the FZ10 and a Tcon17 is a much smaller package.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 5:56 PM   #3

Hi Tree

I'm with Gene on this - keep the FZ10. I'm planning to do the same esp if the FZ40 doesnt pan out the way I'd like it to. My own idea is to get an SLR with a nice fast prime or the Sony R1 or its replacement which I'm hoping gets IS and is restyled, to use when high ISO is needed and use the FZ10 for everything else.

Cheers

HArjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 6:56 PM   #4

Hi,

My current plan is to get a Canon 350D with kit and the canon 50mm1.8, also the sigma 10-20mm. The sigma lens is one of the main reasons why I want to go the dSLR route. I was also considering getting the twin lens kit for not much more and getting the Canon 75-300, if the image quality was similar to the FZ10 then the FZ10 would go.
I had a play with the R1 and it is horrible, once again Sony tries to set the new standard and fails! The ergonomics are useless and it looked stupid. Plus there is the whole Memory Stick think that Sony seems to like to upgrade every week to force you to buy each new "standard". Sony is no longer the company it use to be and I doubt it ever will be again.

Treemonkey
Old Apr 30, 2006, 2:09 AM   #5

genece wrote:
Quote:
While I think the FZ10 is still a fine camera ...I am not sure how much it will bring, but knowing the idiots on Ebay it may bring a thousand dollars.

But you may want to consider keeping it...especially if you use the long end of the zoom much.

A 400 mm lens for a DSLR can be quite large and inconvenient to carry everywhere.

the FZ10 and a Tcon17 is a much smaller package.
i can attest to the comments about the weight of a DSLR and long lens! my new Canon 30D and Sigma 80-400 lens can do marvelous things, but the combination weighs a bit over 6 pounds (just shy of 3 kilos, for those in metric places...). i'm hanging on to my FZ20 for the reasons Gene mentioned... it can still do a lot of good things, and it's a heckuva lot lighter and easier to carry than the DSLR. i'd hang onto the FZ10, unless you really need a couple of hundred dollars badly... that's about what it's worth, probably, but i would guess it will be worth more to you as a back-up, or second camera, than what you could get selling it.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 10:08 AM   #6

TreeI thought I'd really hate the R1 but still wanted to have a look at it in the flesh so to speak. I agree with Sony dropping the ball over the ergonomics and design of the cam - too many smal buttons all over the place, the flash shoe is in the wrong location, memory stiick but at least theres a CF slot and the location of the LCD , no IS etc. However, I like the concept of the R1 and really wish that Pana would bring something similar to the table - a* Wide/Tele 4/3 digicam in the equivalent 24-150 f2.0-3.3 with tilt swivel screen, etc. I'd find that really handy indeed esp with no shutter noise to deal with, you could have waist level shooting, good shallow DOF, high ISO speeds etc. That would suit my shooting style as I'm mostly shooting 1-6x optical.I don't think you can go wrong with either the Canon 350XT or Nikon D50/70's esp at the price point that theyre presently at.*I've* got over the itch to switch to a DSLR for now and am just going to wait a bit before deciding esp as Photokina 2006 is coming up in a couple of months so we're going to be looking at a whole bunch of new cams esp a 350/D70/D50 replacments.CheersHarjTT
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:36 PM   #7

I would like to add two more reasons for keeping the FZ10. Use it to get someone interested in our wonderful hobby. You are not going to want someone who has never held a real camera play with your new DSLR. The FZ10 would make a great camera to teach someone the ins and outs of modern photography. Another reason is because friends know you are into photography one may ask if you have a camera they can borrow for what ever reason and you will have one you coud loan without too much worry. My main hobby is ham radio and I have a few radios I keep for a back up and to loan out to other hams or want to be hams so they can have a radio until they can buy there own.

Allen
mebareit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 2:25 PM   #8

Wonderful Idea... too bad I do not have a neighbor like you.

mebareit wrote:
Quote:
I would like to add two more reasons for keeping the FZ10. Use it to get someone interested in our wonderful hobby. You are not going to want someone who has never held a real camera play with your new DSLR. The FZ10 would make a great camera to teach someone the ins and outs of modern photography. Another reason is because friends know you are into photography one may ask if you have a camera they can borrow for what ever reason and you will have one you coud loan without too much worry. My main hobby is ham radio and I have a few radios I keep for a back up and to loan out to other hams or want to be hams so they can have a radio until they can buy there own.

Allen
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 9:04 PM   #9

Yeah, defo stick with keeping your FZ10 as a second/backup camera. You will regret selling it if you do, as I regret selling my first Nikon digital, as it was compact and totally reliable. I am moving to DSLR next year and keeping my FZ20 until it is no longer.
r0nn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 11:51 PM   #10

HI,

Thanks for all the comments guys. I think I may stick with the FZ10 for a while, I think my partner is interested in using it.
I got the Canon 350D yesterday and all I can say is wow! Just using the camera inside it is amazing how all the controls are in just the right place and you never have to take your eye off the view finder.

I am going to Southern Africa in July/August for ~7 weeks so I wanted to have a camera for night and landscape photography. I think I will take the Fz10 as well as I doubt I will be able to afford a fast telephoto before then.

Treemonkey