Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 4, 2006, 1:14 AM   #1

just thought i'd share a couple i took this evening, the first with my FZ20 and TCON-14B, the second with my 30D and Sigma lens at 400mm... the FZ shot is a bit darker,since it was taken at 1/80, f5.6, ISO 100. the Canon shot was at 1/125, f5.6, but at ISO 400, and the higher ISO brightened it up substantially. both are about 700x575, though the FZ image is obviously cropped more to get the same size image. no NR applied to either one, just cropping, resizing, and one hit each from the "sharpen" button in Irfanview...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2006, 1:57 AM   #2

Thanks, Rocky. The Canon seems to have a better white balance, but the FZ20 compares quite well as far as detail is concerned. I have not been following your postings lately. Which camera are you ending up using more? I am selling my FZ30. I have attached a Tamron 28-300 lens to my KM5D and it replaces everything I loved about the FZ30 and more.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 7:43 AM   #3

Nicely done Squirl.

At this size, except for the color casts and WB, the pics compare fine, but obviously the better res. of Canon comes out in the larger images and large prints or in the comparison between 100% crops.

FZ20 has often those mat-like matrices of noise (like textile threads) which are already faIRLY VISIBLE AT 200% zoom, and this prevents from using much 100% crops from this camera (except for some close up stuff).

Despite similar results (and satisfying ones I get from my FZ20) I oftenget bored about this issue in FZ20 and the facility in which it exhibits color casts when there is a dominant hue in the pic...

But it's all a trade off: better Quality, more money, more weight and less PP
vs less weight and money but lower results and more PP needs.

And I can't believe at how many pics can be improved with Photoshop making FZ pics seems a bit more like dSLR stuff (at least as far as image look, indipendently from the skill as a photographer)

Narmer

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 9:14 AM   #4

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, Rocky. The Canon seems to have a better white balance, but the FZ20 compares quite well as far as detail is concerned. I have not been following your postings lately. Which camera are you ending up using more? I am selling my FZ30. I have attached a Tamron 28-300 lens to my KM5D and it replaces everything I loved about the FZ30 and more.
hi Rduve! i find i'm using the Canon almost exclusively. there's not much reason to use the FZ20, when the 30D will do it all, from close-up flower shots with my Tamron 24-135 macro (focusat 11" with zoom equal to about 6x on the FZ), to "superzoom" wildlife (or moon) photos with the Sigma at 400mm. the Canon is faster, more responsive, easier to change, and obviously takes superior pictures. i've dabbled with the FZ20 for extreme close-ups, since the Tamron lens i have will do very nice work, but not as close as the FZ with the Nikon 6T attached, and i'm sure i will take the FZ with me on extended photo trips as a backup or for times when the weight of the Canon is undesirable, but for everyday use, i'm afraid my faithful FZ has simply been badly outclassed. of course, for the cost of a DSLR and lenses, i would certainly hope so!

the FZ series are great cameras, for the money they provide capabilities far beyond what you'd expect, and they're marvelous tools tolearn (or re-learn!) the hobby.but they are still limited, and for those who want to move beyond those limits, or who simply outgrow the FZ's capbilities, DSLRs are the only way to go.

Old May 4, 2006, 12:54 PM   #5

Yes, I feel exactly the same after making the switch to DSLR.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries
Old May 4, 2006, 3:19 PM   #6

Hi Sqirl003, I took this picture last night with my FZ30 at about 2230 U.K. Time! Different Country same Moon! (Your photos are better though!) Thanks Al.
Attached Images

freewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 4:16 PM   #7

Hello squirl033, I notice you used a tcon-14b. I know this is an Olympus teleconvertor but little else! How does it fit onto an FZ30, do you need an adaptor of some kind? If so who makes it and what is it's part number? My moon picture was just taken with the 12x and the4x digital zoom at 8m. The detail and resolution in your FZ30 shot is much better than mine. I have seen some other convertor resultsin this forum, some wildlife photos,and feel that I need to get one!Hope you can help. Regards Al
freewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 5:27 PM   #8

freewood wrote:
Quote:
Hello squirl033, I notice you used a tcon-14b. I know this is an Olympus teleconvertor but little else! How does it fit onto an FZ30, do you need an adaptor of some kind? If so who makes it and what is it's part number? My moon picture was just taken with the 12x and the4x digital zoom at 8m. The detail and resolution in your FZ30 shot is much better than mine. I have seen some other convertor resultsin this forum, some wildlife photos,and feel that I need to get one!Hope you can help. Regards Al

I can recommend the TCON17 for the FZ30. It is super sharp and has 1.7x magnification vs. 1.4x. It fits right onto the 55m thread.
Old May 4, 2006, 7:13 PM   #9

freewood wrote:
Quote:
Freewood, the TCON-14B won't fit the FZ30 without a couple of step rings. it's got 62mm rear threads, so you'd need at least a couple of step-up rings to make it work. the Panasonic iuse is the FZ20, with a Phayee adapter, so the TCON-14B screws right on. for the FZ30, i second Rduve's recommendation for the TCON-17. it's much lighter than the -14B, offers higher magnification, and doesn't need the step rings.
Old May 4, 2006, 9:52 PM   #10

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
the FZ series are great cameras, for the money they provide capabilities far beyond what you'd expect, and they're marvelous tools tolearn (or re-learn!) the hobby.but they are still limited, and for those who want to move beyond those limits, or who simply outgrow the FZ's capbilities, DSLRs are the only way to go.

I totally agree here

i am currently learning with my fz30 and i am reallly coming to grips with it and producing some fantastic shots.

i think maybe another 6-8months and i think i wil be ready to take on slr.

Great shots squirl and i would love to own 30D:G
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote