Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 6, 2006, 9:05 PM   #1

When I transfer the pictures from my camera, i get a fine jpeg copy of the picture and desaturated tif copy. I'm using a sandisk memoty card reader. I'm I doing something wrong.

Thanks
patrickbrisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2006, 2:28 AM   #2

You're probably shooting in tif format (checkyour menu settings) and if so, the camera also makes a jpeg copy.... So i don't think you are doing something wrong!

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 7:01 AM   #3

Is it normal when i'm shooting in tif mode, that when I transfer the pictures, they look like they do? The colors are wrong and I get a small part from the bottom of the picture at the top of it.

thanks again
Old May 7, 2006, 7:54 AM   #4

No that is not normal.....It most likely is the card or the manner in which you are transferring to the computer.

First thing is to format the card in the camera.

Second thing ...if you use the camera to transfer the photos to the computer , do yourself a huge favor and get a card reader. A 10 dollar one will work but the next generatin reader is out and they are called ESP capable...get one of those and you are ready for the next generation of SD cards.

And the third thing is there is almost no benifit to TIFFs ...just shoot the best quality JPEG and enjoy the speed of the FZ cameras.

If none of that works ...return the card.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 10:41 AM   #5

Yeah, quit shooting in Tiff mode. Waste of space!
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 7:55 PM   #6

Ok, so I won't shoot in tif mode anymore but just for my understanding, I did format the card in my camera, I used a memory card reader to transfer the pictures and the tif pictures still does not come out right. I did not use the software provided by panasonic, could that bethe problem?

Patrick
Old May 8, 2006, 4:36 AM   #7

I am sure that I have heard about this issue of FZ20 with tiff at least once on this forum or more probably on DPReview one.
Maybe the problem is with the sandisk cards or the reader. Do they also come out "cut" using the USB driver (not the whole panasonic programs, only the few usb files which make your FZ20 be accessed as another PC unit in Explorer) ?

Completely agree with others: TIFF is quite useless on FZ20: 14Mb and same qulaity as fine (max quty) jpg, even zoomed in at 400%, same matrix noise same colors....

Really a waste of 12Mb per image, to have maybe a 0,001 improvement on full size 5Mp photos.

Also, because of noise above average, I am not quite certain that even RAW has that great useability on FZ30 (noise in the red and blie channels makes any color broad color shift accentuate the image degradation)

Francesco
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 10:18 PM   #8

Here's an example of what I get.
Attached Images

Old May 10, 2006, 1:32 AM   #9

That certainly looks quite horrible. Seems to be a processing issue inside the camera. It seems to just process green, but not blue and red. But if your jpg's come out fine, I would not worry about it and just avoid tifs. If you are still under warranty, I'd have Panasonic take a look at it though.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 1:36 AM   #10

FZ20, FZ5 and FZ4 does store TIFF files incorrectly on 2 GB cards. On smaller size cards there is no problem with TIFF shots.

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l...ard/index.html

However, these TIFFs can be fixed by cutting 16384 bytes from inside of them, exactly from offset 4000h (to 7FFFh inclusive).

Interesting fact is that on this site http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l...cessories.html Panasonic lists 2 GB card as one of the optional accesory for FZ20 :?
klenot is offline   Reply With Quote