Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 8, 2006, 5:13 PM   #1

Hi,

I like taking pictures of spiders and insects and was reading about the Nikon 6T and the Olympus MCON-35 lenses (I have a 62mm pemaraal adapter).

I am unable to find anywhere that has either of these lenses, which is disappointing given the popularity of these lenses. Anyone have any ideas?

Also am I to believe you can add an extra telephoto lens and in front or behind either of these macro lenses in order to get a closer shot? I would assume you could use the maximum telephoto zoom available on your FZ20 too?

Finally can I use my FZ20 for digiscoping birds and even astrophotophy?

All help appreciated…

r0nn13
:|
r0nn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2006, 7:29 PM   #2

r0nn13 wrote:
Quote:
Finally can I use my FZ20 for digiscoping birds and even astrophotophy?

All help appreciated…

r0nn13
:|
Can't address the initial set of questions but as to the above, it can probably be done via eyepiece projection but not the easiest as your Pany's lens is way too large for the small image from an eyepiece. It will be best at 1-3X zoom and will show viginetting. Small lens digis like Nikon Coolpix and the like are much better for digiscoping perched/stationary birds and/or astrophotography since they have a small lens that will be more easily illuminated by the projected image.

The following is a recent attempt at digiscoping Jupiter via a 70mm Reflector w/ my FZ5 at 3X set up on a tripod aimed into a 20mm eyepiece...

Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 4:31 AM   #3

Hi,

Thanks for the info, I seem to have made a mistake last year then. I sold my Nikon Coolpix 2000 for a measly sum, and I shoudl of kept it for digiscoping and Astrophotography...

You live and learn as they say, prob a good thing, now i could get a 5MP Nikon Coolpix later in the year and see if it works first before buying

r0nn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 10:40 AM   #4

I have tried both my FZ20 and Coolpix 5700 on the backend of my Nikon 82mm Fieldscope. BAD results to say the least. The zoom lenses are way to big I guess. I had read onsome digiscoping sites that they would not work well but I had to try.. lol.

I had purchased the Panasonic FX01 as a pocket camera and popped that onto the fieldscope and had some pretty good results. I had to use a universal camera adaptor since there is no way to make a direct connect. Experimenting is half the fun. :-)

John
JGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 10:59 AM   #5

I wanted to correct a misconception that I inadvertantly perpetuated in my above post. I've since came across a great web site that has a lot of useful info on digiscoping and even heard from Jay correcting me. I'd highly recommend visiting and going through all of Jay's web site for some great info and insights at:

http://www.jayandwanda.com/

Especially pertinent on the issue of viginetting is his info at:

http://www.jayandwanda.com/digiscope...ignetting.html

Another good site I've come across on digiscoping is at:

http://www.digibird.com/whatisdir/whatis.htm
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote