Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 8, 2006, 5:30 PM   #1

I've just received my FZ-30 from the mail.
In additional to the 32mb SD card, I also found a 512mb SD card inside.
I know 512mb is not a lot but atleast it's a bonus and maybe can be used as a last resort backup card.
I don't know how long have Panasonic have been shipping FZ-30 with the additional 512 mb card. Anyone else have the same bonus?

The Panasonic 512mb card have the word "High Speed" printed on it, anyone knows what exactly does it mean by "High Speed'? Roughly equal to how many X found in other cards?
misbehave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2006, 5:05 AM   #2

Congrats on the FZ30 and the 512 card is a

BONUS!

512 is plenty good. You can fit a lot of pics on a 512 card.

Sometimes wish I bought 2 x 512s instead of the 1gb I have.

The high speed bit means that it can accept data a bit faster than standard.

On the FZ30 you need high speed cards if you want to use video mode.

What are your first impressions of your new toy??

cheers,

Max
Puddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 7:08 PM   #3

it says "High Speed", but will be quite slow compared to even a 60-80X. Great bonus to have though
Dave In LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 7:36 PM   #4

Hi!

My first impression is that it is fast! I certainly feel I have made the right choice buying FZ-30. This is definitely the right camera for me. I can take pics right the way after I turn it on. When I have my (now old) Nikon CoolPix 995, I used to have to wait for like 7 seconds before I can use it, AND I also have to press the zoom out button to retract the lens all the way back before I can take pics. For some reason everytime I turn that darn thing off, it zoom itself all the way to the furthest setting so everytime I turn it on I will have to zoom all the way back. It just drive me crazy! And now I don't have to deal with such problem anymore with this manual zoom camera.

But I want to ask if anyone else bought the silver model?
Cause from the pics shown on Panasonic web site, the silver one looks like the typical metalic silver just like any other digital camera out there. However, the one I have got look more like some "gun-metal" silver which is darker than shown in those photos. I have no complain about this, I actually like the color very much but just want to know if they have made FZ-30 a third color or not.
Here is the pic shown on newegg.com and Panasonic Japan website:

And here is the one I have:

Also, I've got this camera bag with the camera. It's nice but wish it could be a bit bigger so that I could also put my battery charger and the card reader in. I am using it to house my old Coolpix 995 and the accessories now.

misbehave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 1:02 PM   #5

I also received the Panasonic 512 High Speed card but I had to send away for it. As far as speed goes, it's not as fast as the 1G Ultra II card I purchased with the camera.
ttkbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 6:04 AM   #6

I did not get a 512 card with my recent purchase and I did not see anything in the way of a send-away card. Is there a promo I missed? Why am I the only guy in town that pays retail?
OinO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 8:04 AM   #7

OinO - When I purchased my camera back in November 05, Panasonic had the free 512 MB card offer with the purchase of a FZ camera on their web site. You would download the form and send in proof of purchase and they would send you a 512MB card. I don't know if this offer is still valid. That's how I got mine. It was not a promo that was advertised! I only knew about it because of this forum.
ttkbear is offline   Reply With Quote