Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 14, 2006, 2:44 PM   #1

hi,

Just about to get a dmc fz30 after selling my Fuji S5000 for £100 :-)

Couple of questions.

1. can the fz30 take the new 4gb cards ok?

2. im not sure about the internal transfer rates for the camera to the SD card, i dont want to buy an SD card so fast (ie expensive) that the camera wont take full use of it, and waste my money. Anyone know the optium transfter speed the camera can go to?

3. does anyone know if the 'noise' of the fz30 is better or worse than the fuji S5000

Thanks again
simonbratt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2006, 2:47 PM   #2

1. No, 2GB is the max

2. 60x or better (don't know where I read it)

3. Haven't got a clue

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 7:03 PM   #3

ta,

anyone got a better idea for no2? there must be a max
Old May 15, 2006, 2:50 AM   #4

The max is 60x, because when you go slower, you notice it, when you go faster, the writing speeds remains the same.

So with my answer I meant, that you have to buy a card with 60x or better and you will have the max writing speed for the FZ30.

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 5:45 AM   #5

thanks rudo, i get it now.
Old May 15, 2006, 10:05 AM   #6

Have a look at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms9000/page9.asp. It shows a direct comparison between an FZ30 and a Fuji S9000

simonbratt99 wrote:
Quote:
3. does anyone know if the 'noise' of the fz30 is better or worse than the fuji S5000
Ollie@Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 9:14 AM   #7

I would try the new Corsair 133x, I got it for only $65 from E-bay.It's a cool 2Gig card.15.5 Mb/sec write time, they say.Quite good, might I add.Send:-)
miniion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 10:09 AM   #8

do you really notice the difference between 133x and 60x, aparently the camera only supports up to 60x anyway
Old May 16, 2006, 4:12 PM   #9

Ladies & Gentlemen,

For what it's worth I'd like to reiterate this issue as it pertains to our digital still cameras.

The original (and official) specification for SD cards specifies a 2MB/sec transfer rate. We should establish this as a base line equal to "1X"

Currently the fastest SD cards can provide a read / write / copy transfer rate of 20 MB/sec, otherwise expressed as a true "10X" rating. This speed can only be fully realized when recording full motion MPEG2 video in SD camcorders. The internal buffer used in our "burst mode" still allows slower cards to operate similar to the faster cards. Basically there is no appreciable difference in actual use. Furthermore, the SD interface in the digital camera in which you are using the fastest cards must also be capable of supporting the 20 MB/sec transfer rate; otherwise you will not be able to take full advantage of the cards speed capability.

And finally, ratings of "60X" and "133X" are very misleading. Based on the present measurement system, the transfer rate using these cards should be 60 x 2MB/sec or 133 x 2MB/sec. They aren't.

Bottom line is look at the actual read / write / copy transfer rate, understanding that 20 MB/sec is the maximum transfer rate. If you choose to use a slightly slower card your cameras buffer will hold images a few tenths of a second longer.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 4:41 PM   #10

A 2 Gig SD card is 'cool'... what's all that about?
brucegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote