Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 16, 2006, 6:45 AM   #1

has anyone actually tried a 4gb SD in the fz30 yet? i know manula says 2GB max, but........ who knows.
simonbratt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2006, 8:08 AM   #2

The manual of the FZ20 said that the max capacity was 1 gb but the sandisk ultra 2 gb works fine so I thing it should work.

Patrick

patrickbrisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 8:32 AM   #3

Sorry Patrick, but the maximum is 2GB, because the camera uses only FAT16 and not FAT32.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAT
Leberwurstsaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:27 AM   #4

According to the documantation that came with the camera, the FZ30 will hold approximately 490 photos on a 2Gb card. If I put in my 4Gb card than the display states that it can contain approximately 528 photos.

I understand that the difference between FAT16 and FAT32 is what is apparently limiting the camera to use only 2Gb of the card - but is the rest of the card just empty or can it be partitioned and used as storage should the first 2Gb fill up?
DEaton3162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:09 PM   #5

I can't remember where I saw this but I read that if you record both TIFF and JPEG formats you are limited to 1GB on the FZ20. But if all are JPEG you can use a 2GB.

In any event you would want to make sure whatever you think you are saving can be correctly downloaded. Nothing worse than putting in a 2 or 4GB card, take great shots then discover there's a problem. Better to use 2 smaller cards and be sure.

Max
maxpixels is offline   Reply With Quote