Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 21, 2006, 9:39 AM   #1

....well, another Heavy Jumper of course!

I have seen the heavy jumper eat many preys before....Lynx spider, other jumpers, hoppers etc...and really thought, wow this guy eats everything.

Today at a park, while looking at a shield bug, chance upon this Heavy Jumper (HJ), and notice it a bit odd looking...as if something was infront.....well, it was another HJ in its mouth! I think they are abt the same size.

Now I am wondering, how it got eaten....I mean both have the same capabilities...can see as far etc....I guess it must have been ambushed from the rear.... well hope I am able to catch that scene one day.

Anyway...here is the aftermath. All different angles of the pair.

Mostly taken with FZ10+6T+Sigma CU, ISO 50, F8, 1/60s and 1/125s, ext bounce flash
Only one shot with A610+reverse.

#1: Thats me....

#2: with another me in my mouth
Can see they are abt the same size

#3: As usual they crawl around with the prey....over 2 leaves...

#4: ...Under one...

#5: ....And even jumping off one

#6: Here you see the EYES OF DEATH

#7: Close up of the predator
Taken by A610

#8: And lastly, crossing the branch

tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2006, 7:34 AM   #2

Another Great Series, Tchuanye. Congratulations.

All great shots, even the A610 one: maybe this would have been the best one if you had stopped the aperture down to to f/32 or f/64 :-)

While I observed this deliciously reportedrepast I was wondering if it wasn't instead a "mating situation" although from what you say it seems you are sure it was about cannibalism.

Narmer

PS as I have already stated at least once your shots are already great but the simple frames you've up to the last year really added a bit of plus to them.
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 7:41 AM   #3

Thanks Narmer.

It COULD be a mating pair, but I think its not cos both looks the same, and hence of the same gender.

For the A610...wow, if it could do that, I would be jumping for joy too...heh heh...

Regarding frames, I remember abt you mentioning that, but its quite subjective. I do post at other forums too to get inputs for improvements, and those forums are quite particular abt the frames....hence I stopped that.

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
Another Great Series, Tchuanye. Congratulations.

All great shots, even the A610 one: maybe this would have been the best one if you had stopped the aperture down to to f/32 or f/64 :-)

While I observed this deliciously reportedrepast I was wondering if it wasn't instead a "mating situation" although from what you say it seems you are sure it was about cannibalism.

Narmer

PS as I have already stated at least once your shots are already great but the simple frames you've up to the last year really added a bit of plus to them.
Old May 24, 2006, 8:11 PM   #4

Very strange: only my reply to a great (as always from you) post.
Maybe people are becoming bored of perfect (or nearly such) photos?

Narmer
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 9:24 PM   #5

Heck, I am very well impressed. Sorry, haven't had much time lately for my camera phobia. Been busy with my horses. As always, these macros are beyond expression. Wish some of that skill would rub off on me. Guess I would have to wait on osmosis, and that probably wouldn't be successful.

Anyway, great captures as always. I enjoy looking.

Thanks for sharing,

Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 8:10 AM   #6

Thanks Jerry and Narmer!

Old May 25, 2006, 8:54 AM   #7

Incredible photography tchuanye!! I'm speechless every time I see one of your macro series. To come uponsucha subject matter you must spend considerabletime and energy looking for it. Your postings are teaching us all how it should be done. Thanks for sharing.

Regards
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 9:07 AM   #8

No need to worry about lack of response. Tan's pics are so extraordinary that (i) people just keep looking at them and (ii) there is nothing more that canbe said about the beauty of his pics. The number of views vis-a-vis comments explains that.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 9:32 AM   #9

Thanks Raghu. I am not concern abt responses per se, I just want to share pics, and its ok if there are comments or no comments. I learnt much from other forum members here, and would like to share what can be done with non-dslr cams with the right equipment.

Macnite, thanks for the comments! Usually, I don't really expand much effort looking for such subjects, in the sense that I search high and low for a specific shot. I just chance upon them....more of an opportunist :lol:
Old May 25, 2006, 12:11 PM   #10

You're scaring me...
Leberwurstsaft is offline   Reply With Quote