Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

View Poll Results: As an existing Lumix user will you consider the DMC L1 for your next camera ?
1. Yes,I will be upgrading to the L1 but only if its <$1500USD 1 4.17%
2. Yes,I will be upgrading to the L1 but only if the price is <$1000 USD 1 4.17%
3. No,I will be moving to a DSLR but not the L1 4 16.67%
4. No,I have already purchased a DSLR 4 16.67%
5. No,I will be upgrading to the FZ40 6 25.00%
6. No,I'm quiet happy with my current Fluzzie 6 25.00%
7. I haven't decided yet. 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 24, 2006, 8:27 PM   #1

We all know that Panasonic will in Sept introduce the DMC L1 DSLR. So I thought it about time that we had a wee poll to find out how many of us will be considering a move to the L1 or another DSLR or to the FZ40 in the near future.

Cheers

HArjTT

:O:G
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2006, 2:17 AM   #2

Hi,

For me the L1 was never an option. The 4/3rds sensors are no where near as good as the Nikon/Canon sensors for high ISO performance. Another issue that has also concerned me is weather 4/3rds will be around in 5-10 years time. A lot of good camera companies have gone bust of late and committing to a some what uncertain future with 4/3rds wasnt an option. I spent a lot of time reading reviews and more importantly using the Nikon D50 and Canon 350D before I made up my mind to go for the 350D. I dont regret the decision for a second, the Canon is truly a pleasure to use compared with my FZ10, taking photos with the Canon just so much more enjoyable. When I try to go back to the FZ10 nothing seems to be in the right place and it is just annoying trying to use it. Image quality is also a lot better with the 350D even with the crappy kit lens.
The L1 better be an amazing camera as it competition is pretty good.

Cheers

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 2:37 AM   #3

Hola Tree!

Glad to hear that you really like the 350D post some shots when you get the chance. Whats your plan for the FZ10 now that you've got the 350?

Regards 4/3 I think it will definetly be around now that Panasonic with all of the resources that it has at its disposal is now on board. I think a lot will depend on how good the L1+kit lens is, if its is a good as I think it will be then door is open for other members of the 4/3 group, Kodak, Fuji etc to possibly intro their own cams. Now if it were an Olympus only format then I agree with you over it being a possible dead end. I've been checking the various other forums and a lot of the current KM users were seriously worried about the future of the kit that they had invested into once KM had been snapped up by Sony but as we know Sony isn;t going to go away anytime soon.

I know the L1 will be expensive but I am going to see what the reviews of the kit will be like - Pana would have had a full 8 months to work on improving the sensor before they launch the camera. Also, there is a very good chance that Olympus will introduce the E1's replacement as their top of the range camera around the sametime. So hopefully, when its realised it won't cost too much more than its Canon/Nikon/Sony equivalent. I'm personally keeping all my options open - including looking at the FZ40 and Sony R2 if its released this summer.

Cheers

HarjTT

Old May 26, 2006, 8:18 PM   #4

Judging from this and other threads, people would be prepared to pay a little more for the FZ40.**But just a small (and intended as a good natured) hint to Panny Canada (in case they are watching):* *FZ30 MSL in the US - $US600 = $CA675 @ $0.89US Exchange.* *FZ30 MSL in Canada - $CA900.* *Tigerdirect.ca has offered The FZ30 for $700 on at least 2 occasions that I know of and has sold out both times in just a couple of days.* *An FZ40 for MSL $CA700 or even $CA750 would be sooooo..kewl !!!!!* *What about a break for us cool northerners just this once Panny ... even though the FZ40 is going to be such an awsomely great camera?
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 9:07 AM   #5

I looked at the price of a canon IS lens within the same focal range as the Leica D 14-50mm:

Canon 17-85mm f4.5-5.6 IS USM (27-135mm) = £500.00

The closet canon quality lens and focal range to the D Leica is the CANON EF 24-105mm f4.0 LUIS

and that retails for £870.00 here in the UK = $1617USD. Although I have found it for selling for £670.00

So an equivalent Canon setup to the L1+kit lens would cost:

Canon 350XT (inc. kit lens) +
CANON EF 24-105mm f4.0 LUIS = £1370.00/$2574

If I go Canon, I'll be getting the 30D and that would cost:

30D (inc kit lens) +
CANON EF 24-105mm f4.0 LUIS = £1700.00

Therefore, if the L1 is priced at say £1000-1200 for the kit then you could call it a steal.

Pricing for the FZ's we have the same issue in the UK - the FZ30 here is on sale for £400=$742, when you can get it from BHPhoto for $489.00USD!

Cheers

HarjTT

:|
Old May 28, 2006, 10:04 AM   #6

The FZ30 was my first Panasonic Camera and that was due in large part to all the excellent photographs on this forum. I will take a close look at the L1 and hear what gets said about it on the SLR forum but it will have to be a hell of a camera to beat out the likes of my Canon 20D. The first time I fired off 5 shots in about a second I was amazed. It was like moving up from a .22 single shot to an automatic weapon!
It looks to me like most of us have moved to digital from film and the Nikon/Canon Juggernaut exists because their equipment is excellent. Panasonic is very brave to move into this arena and only their love for innovation will keep them there. My thanks to everyone in this forum, you have all been a great inspiration.

Many Thanks,
Rod Cambridge
controlrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 10:38 AM   #7

Quote:
?FZ30 MSL in the US - $US600 = $CA675 @ $0.89US Exchange.? ?FZ30 MSL in Canada - $CA900.? ?Tigerdirect.ca has offered The FZ30 for $700 on at least 2 occasions that I know of and has sold out both times in just a couple of days.?
I purchased my FZ30, brand new, on ebay about four weeks ago and live in Ontario, Canada. I paid $475. US. So by the time I paid for that in Canadian dollars and still paid the customs, which was $45. Canadian, it was still less than $600. Canadian, so it was well worth the value. The cheapest that I had found it for locally was $749. on sale at Henry's and then you have to pay the 15% tax on that, making it about $861. Canadian. Even at $700. at Tigerdirect, it would still be $805. with tax so ebay saved at least $225.

Just for some information!!:?

annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 10:17 AM   #8

Annie57

Thanks much for the information ... quite a saving !!!!

What happens with the warranty on a camera bought from the US on eBay?

Thanks again.

WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:22 PM   #9

I just read the announcement and specifications for the FZ50 - NOW I know what I am going to buy next! The FZ30 is great but the FZ50 is close to ideal - less noise, higher sensitivity and better detail.

Is anyone else hanging out for an FZ50? And does anyone know if the FZ50 LCD screen flips in for protection like the FZ30's does??
madgicsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 3:48 AM   #10

madgicsh

The trouble is that Panasonic have crammed even more pixels into the same size sensor. I don't think that's doing any favours for noise reduction.

The FZ50 to me really looks like a FZ30 mark 2. The FZ50 screen flips 180 degrees - a bit more that the FZ30.
dbuk is offline   Reply With Quote