Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 28, 2006, 7:09 PM   #1

I cam across a how to by Sean Reid (Leica photographer) on how to reduce chroma noise in a shot in photoshop if you didn't have noise ninja or neat image at hand. I couldnt find the actual article on the Leica forum but I found this one which is basically the same thing.

http://tricks.onigo.net/guides/2005/...p-by-step.html

Hope that helps.. I've just started to use it but beign very conservative with it.

Cheers

HarjTT

:|
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2006, 1:33 PM   #2

looks promising, but Neat Image is SO much easier! andthe demo version, which does the job just fine (but limits queuing and saves only in JPEG),isFREE! :G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 1:48 PM   #3

Hi Quirrll

I tried using the tip ages ago but gave up and switched to using the demo version of neta Image but as you mentioned it saves only in jpeg (loss less version). That link explaisn it slightly better than Sean's thread which kidn of lost me. I know I could buy NI but I havent got around to it and this way you can save as a psd/tiff without losing any more detail before savign eth final version as a jpeg for uploading.

Another question for you and the other FZ20/30 users how often do you shoot in Tiff or RAW mode ?

Cheers

HArjTT

:?
Old May 29, 2006, 2:39 PM   #4

i never use the TIFF mode in my FZ20... couldn't tell any difference between that and JPEG, and JPEG uses lots less memory, so i opted for more photos, rather than fewer shots with at best a marginal, if any,improvement in image quality... besides, JPEG is only a problem if you save the same image repeatedly. if you make a few changes, and don't resave the same image more than, say, half a dozen times, the loss or degradation often associated with JPEG files isn't noticeable.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 4:11 PM   #5

thanks HA..
I am doing USM with contrast masks in lab mode anyway. I have tried some softening of the A and B channel. Looks quite good!
All this is packed into an adjustable photoshop action now.
Sven
seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 5:37 PM   #6

Sven

Ooo cool.. I need to look it into that. Just glad I can help.

Cheers

HArj

:?
Old May 30, 2006, 12:02 AM   #7

This is a free action set to do basically that. http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/...eReduction.htm

He suggests combining it with his edge finding action. I have another utility that was free and finds edges with more controls than Photoshop does. I usually find my edges and invert before applying noise reduction. To get it to work with standard noise reduction software you have to use layers and hit the delete key after you find the edges. I haven't found one yet that will work only on the selected areas.

Dr Mitchel usually announces his actions and scripts on the plug-in forum as gmitchel[/b].

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 10:19 AM   #8

I never use Tiff on my FZ20 - seems to give no advantage over Jpeg fine. If I had an FZ30 I imagine I would use RAW a fair bit - to allow forthe extra processing possibilities (esp. for pushing stops in exposure adjustment etc) especially for images involving a wide dynamic range.

Talking of re-saving jpg files - yes a few re-saves does not degrade image quality very much (esp. if you have the compression setting low). However, one thing I find that does sometimes lead to a fair bit of 'pixel damage' (eg edge artifacts and halos) is several small rotations of an image. Even one rotation (ie that is not a multiple of 90 degrees) can often leave unsightly aliasing in places.

It really pays to get those horizons framed right in-camera, if you want the best image quality!
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 12:03 PM   #9

Thanks
mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 12:21 PM   #10

When I open Photoshop and select a shot I want to work with the first thing I do is create a copy . Many times after looking at a picture I worked on and the original I am glad to have made the copy. Funny how something that looks good one day may not work the next time out.
Anyway, a simple suggestion to stop the "wish I still hads" from getting you.Hard drive space is so cheep and easy to add after all.
KennJ is offline   Reply With Quote