Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:36 PM   #11

Fred-

What's your longest lens you have for the dSLR and how does it compare to the reach/IQ youhave beenable to get with the FZ20?

I saw a post by Gene talking about getting lens lust for his D50 after seeing what the 200mm lens gives him...

By the by, really nice, concise explanations about the digi chips and differences...
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 3:30 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Speaking of which, how is the fx01 treating you? There are precious few users posting here. I recently posted some night shots I thought came out very nicely - zero responses!Very littleinterest in thistiny 28mm gem. Too bad.
I'm getting along with it famously.

I've been posting a lot of shots with it over at http://peri365.blogspot.com

I can't see what's not to like - IMO Panasonic gets such a bad rep over noise that reviewers don't even bother to give them a chance any more. They just assume it's going to be bad and say so.

I really haven't had any noise problems at all, the image stabliser is cool, and the 28mm wide angle is just fantastic.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 9:40 AM   #13

squirl does a great job of describing the difference. After having the FZ20 and FZ30 (still own both) and just recently getting the Nikon D50 I spent most of my time trying to get lenses that would give the the same capabilities that I was accustomed to:

Tamron 28-75 2.8
Sigma 70-200 2.8
Nikkor 50mm 1.8
Nikon SB-600 Flash

I just recently aquired the Sigma teleconverter that takes my 70-200mm to a 35mm equiv of 420mm (and that's atf4)which matches the FZ30 and like Squirl says about his 500mm, it's huge and heavy. The D50 out performs the FZ30 in almost every way but I really have a new appreciation of what the FZ20/30 can do as an all-in-one package.

I eventually plan on getting the Nikon D200 but will probably still opt for the FZ30 as my backup instead of the D50 because it's so easy to just pick up and take along. Being a dSLR owner takes me back to the days when my kids were toddlers and you had to haul 100 pounds of gear for simple trips (stroller, diapers, etc) compared to now that they are much more grown, we just hop in the car and go.
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 12:49 PM   #14

i havetwo lenses that give me the same capability for my 30D as i had with my FZ20 and TCON-14B. i use a Tamron 24-135, which gives me effectively a 36-215mm lens for general purpose use, and a Sigma 80-400 which translates to a 128-640mm lens, for long-distance work such as wildlife. my FZ20 with the TCON attached gave me the equivalent of about 620mm. so with just two lenses for my DSLR, i have the same range of capability - 36-640mm - as my FZ20 with a teleconverter.

there are DSLRlenses out there that would cover thesame focalrange as my FZ20with one lens- a 28-300, for instance, would work out to 36-480mm equivalent on my 30D - but such lenses are usually either mediocre in terms of image quality, or hellishly expensive. that's the real beauty and strength of the FZ's... the Leica lenses offer incredible optical performance in a compact package, and at a very reasonable price.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 6:48 PM   #15

Yes, Squirl-

That's what I soon found when I was looking at gettingthe D50. To get the reach I wanted it would be 400 - 500mm lens and, for the IQ + reach,would mean between $900 - $1,200 for the quality glass + the ~$500-600 for the body

I guess I'll play with/master the <$500 FZ30 until I can brave the wrath of the wife to make that big leap of mucho $'s. As it is, she'll be wanting me to sell the FZ5 now...
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 9:48 PM   #16

Telecorder wrote:
Quote:
Yes, Squirl-

That's what I soon found when I was looking at gettingthe D50. To get the reach I wanted it would be 400 - 500mm lens and, for the IQ + reach,would mean between $900 - $1,200 for the quality glass + the ~$500-600 for the body

I guess I'll play with/master the <$500 FZ30 until I can brave the wrath of the wife to make that big leap of mucho $'s. As it is, she'll be wanting me to sell the FZ5 now...
yep... quality glass ain't cheep. that Sigma set me back a grand all by itself. the Tamron was only $400, a relative bargain for a good all-purpose lens, especially compared to the Canon 24-105L, which is over $1000. the 30D was about $1400... add batteries, memory, filters, etc, and you bump into $3000 in a hurry.all to get the same 'reach' as a $450 digicam with a $125 teleconverter! :O

of course, if that's all you got for the money, no one would buy DSLR's.but my 30D lets me do things that were either difficult or impossible with the FZ, and it gives me great image quality in the bargain. no buyer's remorse here! :G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote