Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 30, 2006, 3:02 AM   #1

What are the steps to create Selective focus and Hyperfocal on the FZ30
I know you can create the pictures using portraiture mode and landscape mode but what are the complete steps in manual with Aperture-Priority

Thank you.

Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2006, 6:08 PM   #2

Gekko, Check page 64 of your manual, I believe that will answer your question. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 2:34 AM   #3

Hey Jim,I checked in the manual before and with the manuals they are very limited.The problems I am having is that I have been hearing that you are*supposed to spot*focus or center focus and then just aim the cam to the left and prime*focus then while holding shutter move cam to the centre and click like AE lock. This sounds utterly confusing and I would like to know if there is a simpler and non confusing way to get the selective focus? and what are the Manual settings for Hyperfocal instead of only unsing Landcape mode.Hope this question was not confusing to anyone.Thank you.Gekko
Old Jun 1, 2006, 6:21 AM   #4

Gekko wrote:
Quote:
Hey Jim,I checked in the manual before and with the manuals they are very limited.The problems I am having is that I have been hearing that you are?supposed to spot?focus or center focus and then just aim the cam to the left and prime?focus then while holding shutter move cam to the centre and click like AE lock. This sounds utterly confusing and I would like to know if there is a simpler and non confusing way to get the selective focus? and what are the Manual settings for Hyperfocal instead of only unsing Landcape mode.Hope this question was not confusing to anyone.Thank you.Gekko
The way you are discribing is a waste of time. Aim and priming then aiming again was the old way of doin it before cams could select focal poitns in a frame. to do this in the fz30 see below

When you have the cam in af mode (im not sure if this works in scene modes, i never use em), press and holds the focus button on the side of the lens, near the focus mode switch. While holding this down a grid should appear on the lcd. use the d pad to select where you want the cam to meter and focus from. You can select from 9 points. once u have the point u want highlighted let go of the focus button and thts where the cam will focus and meter from.

Is this the explanation you were after?>>>??

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 9:20 PM   #5

Kenmck15,ironically the post I posted before was a previous post of yours on how to use selective focus. It does not matter how I focus using the focus grid or manual focus the entire subject for me is all in focus. I am trying to have part of the image blurred as in selective focus.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 9:46 PM   #6

Gekko wrote:
Quote:
Kenmck15,ironically the post I posted before was a previous post of yours on how to use selective focus. It does not matter how I focus using the focus grid or manual focus the entire subject for me is all in focus. I am trying to have part of the image blurred as in selective focus.

I think im not undestanding your terminology

Have you tried using aperture priority and using a lo fstop (2.8) this will limit your depth of field and keep ur subject sharp and background blurred. is this wat you mean?
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:49 PM   #7

Yes,the correct term is Selective focus*that is when you want to blur part of the image and have it out of focus you would set the aperture to the widest in*aperture priority. As I have tried to state before I have tried all this and I am still getting everything in complete focus instead of getting part of the image or subject matter blurred or out of focus.*
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:54 PM   #8

ok can you post an image of your attempts.

here is one of my shots taken in aperture priority mode, fstp set to 2.8 and thts all. No other tricks or extra blurring using PS.

ken
Attached Images