Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 30, 2006, 4:53 PM   #1

My brother-in-law wrote Panasonic customer services asking about the FZ40 and received the following response.

"At this time we do not have any information for a replacement on the DMC-FZ30. If there will be one, it will most likely be next march that it will be released. I hope this information helps, if not, let me know. Thanks!"

What do you think?

My FZ30 was stolen and I wanted to wait for the FZ40 before replacing it.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2006, 5:07 PM   #2

TC

Hmm.. thats abit odd, becuase March is usually the time they release the FZ3/5/7 replacement while the FZ10/20/30's have always been in the summer August/Sept. If its true then may be the L1 is taking precedence over the FZ40 but I doubt it?

Cheers

HarjTT

:O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 5:41 PM   #3

maybe they figure that any improvement on the FZ30 would either cost too much, or undercut sales of their DSLR. seems to me the '30 is about as far as they can really go with the compact ultrazoom concept, unless they want to spend a lot of money on a bigger sensor, bigger glass, etc., and they've already done that with the 4/3 DSLR.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 5:58 PM   #4

I am beginning to fear there may not be an FZ40 this year. It's June and no solid rumors yet. It's to bad, even an improvement in the ISO/noise performance would have satisfied me. I have a TZ1 and it outperforms the FZ in ISO/noise. Although, it is no match optically for the FZ.
I still think I will wait a couple of more months before making a decision.
Old May 30, 2006, 6:07 PM   #5

Squirrll

I think you do have a point here - if they improve the FZ30 i.e give it a larger sensor, larger glass, clean high ISO @ least 400, etc then effectively they would be producing a cam with the same kind of qualities as a DSLR and thats something none of the camera manufacturers want. There are rumours about that now that Sony is also about to release a DSLR they will not be releasing an R2 . If we look at the current models and price range we have basically the following.

DMC L1 - possibly 1500 - 1700 - NEW due Sept 2006
DMC LC1 - 1000.00 (discontinued)
DMC FZ30 - $500.00
DMC FZ7 - $329.00 - NEW
DMC LX1 - $460.00 - due for replacement
DMC FX01 - $280.00 - NEW

I would assume that we should see an FZ40 in the summer as usual just to fit into their current model range. I did read an article on the Leica forum many months ago that Pana was working on 2 product cycles - one for the LC1/high end cam which was on a 2 year developement cycle while all the rest of the range was on a yearly update. I'll see if I can find it.

Cheers

Harj

:O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 8:48 PM   #6

Harj, i would guess that if Panny does release an FZ40 this year, it will be the same relative to the FZ30 as the Canon 30D is to the 20D... a slight tweak, but not a major upgrade. perhaps the real model number should be something like the FZ30 Mk II....
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 4:51 PM   #7

Oddly that reply you received almost contradicts itself

If they have no information on a replacement, why would they state it would probably be released march next year??!?!

Surely by the nature of having no information on a replacement means they wouldn't have a clue when it would be released...

Also if upping the tech on the FZ30 inreases the costs to far at this stage then they may be holding back a year, also begs the if it ain't broke theory, the FZ30 still tops most of the reviews i read... unusual for a manufacturer to replace a product so soon when its still the best in its field

IMHO

:-)
beesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 2:24 PM   #8

I would have written the same post sa Squirl has.

A FZ40 this year, espec. before summer, would be very similar to FZ30, and maybe even worse noisewise (10Mp on same CCD ?).
A FZ40 on shelves two years after the predecessor, MUST be way better a cam.
I can wait, for FZ20 is notmuch worse than FZ30.

Better to wait a year more.

Sorry for your FZ30 Tcook.

Narmer
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 2:54 AM   #9

If there is an FZ40 scheduled for late this year, Panasonic would not provide any information ahead of time. This is the kind of information that companies try very hard to keep it secret until they do a press release.

A goodcompromise may be the FZ20K, which Amazon is selling for $299 w/ free shipping. A steal, really! That will take you to next year.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 4:20 PM   #10

Thanks, that really is a good price on the FZ20. I have a FZ15 (took it back from my son) which will do me until next year. I really loved some of the features of the FZ30 and that is the reason I upgraded. I will probably wait and see if anything happens with a FZ40.