Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 3, 2006, 4:44 PM   #1

Hi,

I haven't posted before but have a fz30 and have been taking some photos at the Isle of Man TT races.

I've got a couple of questions:-

1. How do i make the sidecar seem fast - it was doing 140mph about 3 meters from me - so can't pan.

2. The first photo (bike 3) is of the winner and new lap record holder -John McGuinness at the Goose Neck, and was pretty typical of lots of the photos of i got, but i think i prefer the one of 48 - this was taken at 1/15 sec and a polarising filiter. But this also gave many blurred photos - is there a more reliable method of doing this?

3. How do I stop photobucket resizing everything and is there anything better for use to post photos?

Thanks in advance - only got the camera about a month ago and still getting used to it.

I know that some of the photos need a bit of neatimage, but there didnt seem much point given photobucket resizing everything and creating jagged lines anyway

iom_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2006, 9:47 PM   #2

Very nice shots indeed, wish I could answer your questions, as I am still learning.

P.S. How did you post all the photos in one post? I would like to be able to do that.

Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 12:28 AM   #3

they call that a sidecar?? :O hope the poor sod riding in there can keep his toes up! :lol:

if you can't pan, the only answer is to back up a bit to where you can. buteven just a few meters away, you should be able to pan enough to get the background to blur. i recall taking shots of pro rally cars at pretty short distances and being able to pan them reasonably well. at 140mph, you don't need to stay "with" the bike very long... tracking it for just a few feet will be enough to give you the blurry bakground you want. the biggest problem with shots like theseis that the bikesare moving toward you, and the FZ's autofocus doesn't track well, or change focus fast enough, to keep the image clear on something that moving thatfast and that close.

Photobucket automatically resizes anything about 512k. if you resize your images to 800x600 first, and then adjust the image save quality if needed to get the file size below 512k, Photobucket will upload it without any further resizing. 800x600 is a lot easier to view on the forum, too...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 6:02 AM   #4

Hi bayourebelthanks for the comments, I used photobucket.com to upload the photos and then it gives you the link- see the reply from squirl033to improve the photobucket pic quality - will do that in the future - thanks

Hi squirl033, part of the problem with the TT is it virtually impossible to get clear shots without the crowd in the way unless u are very close, or high up. It bike shots were taken at a tight series of corners - the goose neck, hence able to pan a bit. The sidecar was flying down a hill and even if you were 10m i still think it would be impossible to pan (horiztonally - can pan down the hill when they are coming at you, a little bit)- the bikes are moving at approx 50-60 m/s - i guess id need to find a clear spot about 30m away, hmm may i need a crane

I've never really found focusing too difficult, just half hold down the button where you want to take the photo when you here the bikes come, as long at the aperture isnt too wide up get enough depth of field to allow a bit of panning.

What is found much harder to photograph, was swallows, they don't go along roads and are very small - so need to be within about 10m for a good photo - then givinga bad depth of field.

Is there any way to get the fz30 to take high speed shots - ie 1/2000 without havinga narrow aperture?

Old Jun 4, 2006, 12:06 PM   #5

i've tried swallows too... can't even keep the little fellas in the fiewfinder, much less focused, even with a DSLR!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"you've learned the only real way to capture shots like this with the FZ's, which is to focus on a spot and click when the bike gets there, though this does tend to produce photos with just a bit of motion blur unless your shutter speed is way up there. as for shooting with the FZ @ 1/2000, you'll definitely need good light, and even then you may find the DOF isn't what you want. if your main goal is to freeze very fast subjects, you can always shoot inS mode, setting the speed for 1/2000, but if the light's not real bright, your pics may come out dark and/or noisy...
Old Jun 4, 2006, 12:44 PM   #6

I found the best chance with swallows was manual focus and high aperture. Also keeping both eyes open - one with the viewfinder and the other just looking at the scene - makes following them much easier. The other thing is to go where the birds are - the more the better.
Attached Images

Old Jun 4, 2006, 3:16 PM   #7

i have plenty of places to go to see them... and who knows, if the sun ever comes out, maybe i'll be able to get enough light to shoot 1/1300 at f16 or higher, so i'll have enough DOF to catch one!