Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 6, 2006, 5:31 PM   #11

Humm, interesting observation about the aperture, Newsyl. The thing is, at 12x the focal area is very narrow solighting changes willaffect the camera a lot morein terms of aperture.Your statement is correct aslong asthe lightcaptured by the camera in WA is about the same as at 12x. But,once you reach the end of the zoom, the light reaching the lens can change drastically between a tiny shaded area and a bright area. If you are at WA, then the twowould be in the same frame, metered equally. Not sure I'm explaining my thought clearly.

Yes, the menu is not well designed at all. This is anotherarea where the H1 does a better job. The menu stays where you left. Say you access the menu to change the ISO.Next time you access the menu, you get the...ISO. It makes sense, Sony assumes thatthere is a good chance that when you return to the menu, you want to get to where you made the last change.Obviously it does not work all the time but it does most of the time. Also, the H1 does not have any clicking noise at all.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 1:17 PM   #12

PAGE 113 - troubleshooting -in the operating instructions

" 'The lens clicks' -When the brightness has changed due to the zoom or the movement of the camera or other, the lens may click... It is not a malfunction."

Whatever mode it's in, if the focal length changes, or the light value changes (or both) the iris has to change to maintain the correct EV. be thankful you can still get F2.8 at maximum tele if you need it.
maxpixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 1:54 PM   #13

Thanks for pointing out the manual info., megapixels. I guess I should read the whole darn thing, not just the operating section of it.Yes, the FZ20 has indeed a very unique lens andhaving f2.8 across the entire zoom range is probably one of its best selling points. It makes me wonder though, why Panasonic never used this lens again on any other models.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote