Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:08 AM   #1

Hi, I just bought the FZ20 and noticed an intermittentclicking noise every time I move the camera aroundand the light changes. It appears to be related to the LCD/EVF. If I place the lens cap on (no light), then the clicking noise is gone. Is there anyone out there experiencing the same noise/problemor is my camera busted (already)?Thanks.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2006, 3:47 PM   #2

Sounds like normal FZ noises to me.

My FZ30 makes some small clicking sounds, too. I think it's something to do with the metering. From what I've read in previous threads on this (you might do a search to find them), it's completely normal. Now that I'm used to it, I really don't even notice it anymore.
RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 6:20 PM   #3

Thanks very much, RedStickMan. That's exactly what squirl said. To be honest, that's great news. At least I know I don't have to send the camera back and ask for a replacement.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 9:32 PM   #4

My FZ30 also makes clicking like noise, but only when I move the camera around to different lighting. Like across a wall, an open door, a light., I assume that it is only the auto metering of light conditions adusting the lens for what mode you are in. Maybe I am wrong.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 12:58 AM   #5

That's the same symptom I tried to explain, Jerry. The clicking noise is more evident outdoors, where there is great change in light from one area to another. I also noticed that there is morenoisewhen I have the camera zoomed in all the way. If I don't zoom, then the noise is almost unnoticeable. Very annoying if you ask me!
Old Jun 6, 2006, 4:20 AM   #6

Look down the lens while you move the camera around - you will see the aperture iris adjusting as the light levels change. That's what your clicking noise is, nothing to worry about!

If you don't like the noise you could always leave your camera in aperture priority ('A' setting) so that the aperture remains constant at the setting you select and the shutter speed adjusts automatically.

Charlie
f1charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:38 AM   #7

Thanks, Charlie. I'll give it a try. However, I seldom use shoot in Av because fixed-lens cameras have a very shallow DOF in WA anyway. So, it's a bit pointless to use Av. I find P mode to be good for most conditions.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 12:16 PM   #8

I shoot mostly in Aperture Priority mode and the metering clicks all the time.

Why Aperture mode?

1. to keep camera in the sharpest aperture... f5.2 or f5.6

2. to eliminate the red fringing that is a big problem with the FZ20 on high contrast subjects (ie moon shots, branches against a sky). Use f6.5 to f8.0 to minimize it.

But for sports I also use Manual Metering mode and Pre-Focus to minimize shutter lag.

No clicking in Manual mode.

Clicking in Aperture and Program & Shutter modes. The loudness of it seems to be related to how much the iris has to change from wide open (f2.8 silent) to fully closed (f8.0 noisiest).

I just retested it to confirm the above.

NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:29 PM   #9

Hi Newsyl, great piece of information you provided here. I noticed that the clicking noise is much more evident when zooming in all the way. I guess the camerabecomes more sensitive to light changes so the iris is more active adjusting the aperture. I wonder if the newer FZmodels (FZ5 and FZ7) have the same issue. One would think that Panasonic would try toeliminate such an annoying noise.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 2:15 PM   #10

It may be related to the type of shutter used in the camera. I recall reading somewhere that a lot of P&S type consumer grade digicams don't use a "real" shutter. That was quite a while ago and accordingly my memory is suspect to scrutiny.

My old old Canon G1 was much quieter than my current FZ20. Not as much fun as the FZ20 however and also infested by scads of hot and dead pixels.

As for the zooming.... the FZ20 has a lense that is f2.8 all the way through its' zoom range. So in theory, if you started out in f2.8 at 0mm and zoomed all the way to 72mm you shouldn't hear any noise when metering as f2.8 is silent due the iris does not change.

What do the FZ30 owners hear?

I wish there was a button on the back of the camera that would cycle through the various metering modes. That would be much more useful than having it on the second page of the menu. What were Panasonic thinking putting Picture Quality and Size on the first page and the Metering & Focus parameters on the second page?
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote