Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 5, 2006, 3:42 AM   #1

OK, so I just got myself an FZ20. Pictures are quite good, but I have noticed some problems. I've tried to freehand a few pictures and they still blured on me, sometimes pretty bad...

I have tried both modes one and two without much, if any difference. Am I expecting too much out of this camera or what? I mean, I tried to take a basically identical picture of my room without a flash with my old Kodak DX43...sometime(point and shoot 5MP camera) and the picture was just as blured(or clear...) as the Panasonic.
The_Other_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2006, 5:49 AM   #2

can you post the photo

thts the easiest way aye

i have fz30 and i find the stablir makes a significant improvement

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 10:59 AM   #3

It does seem to be working here... I guess I'm expecting too much out of it, but here's an example of what I get. If I remember right(as it was on auto) it was ISO 100, F2.8, 1/2, full wide angle, and of course, no flash. I didn't mean for the shutter to be so slow for this test, but I'm just waking up and didn't feel like finding a better shot :P
Attached Images

Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:29 AM   #4

1/2 second is a pretty long exposure. Even with IS, you'll need a very steady hand to get a sharp photo, handheld, at that setting. IS is pretty good, but it can't replace a tripod or monopod for exposures much longer than 1/10 of a second or so, unless your hands are much steadier than many others.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:16 PM   #5

Alrighty... again, I'm probably just expecting too much out of it. And as I mentioned, I didn't mean for such a long exposure, but I could see a difference... Oh well...just didn't want a broken camera :P
Old Jun 5, 2006, 3:50 PM   #6

I just gotan FZ20 myself a couple of days ago. I also have a Sony H1 and I can tell you, based on 100+ first shots I took with the FZ20 that the H1 IS works much better. I also noticed a lot of noise considering it was a beautiful bright sunny day and I had the ISO set to 80. The FZ20 has some good features (f2.8across the entire zoom range, flash hot shoe, great manual focus system) but that's about it. Picture quality is good but not better than the H1. Response is also decent but the H1 is faster (granted, the H1 is a newer model). Battery life is on the poor side (and prop battery is a drag since you have to invest a lot of money on them). So, if I were you, I'd give the H1 a try, if you can.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 3:52 PM   #7

yea dude 1/2 is a long shutter speed

I can take my cam down to around 1/6 with a real steady stance. but 1/2 is tripod shutter speeds by any std i think.

Use a fil flash man, maybe pump up iso to 200 and need to get tht shtter speed off the ground. According to the manual mode 2 is mnt to be the better of the 2. This stabilizr only provides stabliing when you click the shuter. Option 1 runs stablzr in real time even when composing but apparently is not as effective

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote