Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 5, 2006, 8:36 AM   #1

This is another shot of the "Red Shouldered Hawk" these photos where taking early morning around 7:30 am

as you can see the sun was very bright and the trees where in the shadows of the area where they feed every morning....

12x zoom and some cropping.

enjoy

Attached Images

willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:16 AM   #2

Wow...what a crisp, clear picture! No tele, just the 12x zoom? What camera settings did you use (I'm interested in WB, any Picture Adjustment such as noise reduction or high sharpness? mode? metering? OIS mode? AF mode?). I just got an FZ20 a couple of days ago and so far, I haven't been able to capture any image as goos as this. Thanks.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:00 AM   #3

thx tullio

ok...no tele was used only 12x zoom

WB - cloudy - I find for outdoor low light it works best for me.

shutter priority - 1/200

ISO - 200

Exposure - +1

M Focus

metering - Spot

noise reduction -sharpness - "NoiseWare" - there is a free Ver.

giving the area where he was and the no so favorable lighting I found using these setting helped with the lighting, sure it did somewhat blow out the highlights of the trees in the foreground but it did give me adequate lighting for the shot.

wILLOw

Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:39 PM   #4

Thanks, willow. Very interesting settings you used. I find ISO 80 toproduce enough noise, never mind 200. However, you used 200, so I wonder how much PP did you have to do in order to remove noise. If I understood your settings correctly, you did not use the in-camera NOISE REDUCTION under Picture Adjustment. I need to give MF a good try since the way it's implemented on the FZ20 is as close to a DSLR as it can be (awesome). Spot metering works OK as long as you crop the heck out of the picture just so you pretty much have the main object on it. Otherwise, whatever surrounds the object being photographed will most likely be over exposed, unless of course, there not much light all around, which appears to be the case with you shot since you set EV to +1. Anyway, I have a few new settings to try. Thanks again.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 9:02 AM   #5

well...when every thing else fails!!!

Take lots of shots and hope like heck you get 1 good 1

Shoot for Fun

wILLOw