Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 6, 2006, 8:01 AM   #1

I am looking at purchasing a new photo printer. From the research and budget that I have, I have narrowed it down to the Canon iP4200 or HP Photosmart 8050. I was just wondering if anyone knew about these printers or had any other suggestions? It seems the HP one is best for black and white photos but the ink cartridges cannot be purchased individually when they get low whereas the Canon is supposed to be better for colour and the tanks can be purchased when one colour is low. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks and hope everybody has a super day!!:idea:
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:06 PM   #2

I have the Canon i4000 printer that's almost two years old now and I'm very happy with it. At the time, I chose the Canon because because of the print speed, separateink tanks, and I like feeding photo paper in straight rather than it wrapping around a set of rollers as it's being printed as many HP printers do. Most of the stuff I print is color so black and white quality was not as big a deal. My guess is you will probably be happy with either choice. One thing to note, print your own photos can be very expensive. I found going to the local stores with the kiosk machines work out very well for theevery dayprints at about half the price of printing them myself but this is just me.

ttkbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 4:48 PM   #3

thanks for your info. I know at times it may be cheaper at a store to print them but I like to play with the photos and take my time doing stuff and so it is nice to be able to print them at home and play!!! I was thinking the Canon may be the best way to go coz as u said, it is more cost effective.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 9:17 PM   #4

I had a Canon ip5000 in which I used generic inks very successfully and the photos were indistinguishable from Canon inks.

In a moment of madness when my daughter's Canon i560 packed up, I gave her the ip5000 and purchased a ip 4200. This produces excellent pictures and also prints (as did the 5000) onto DVDs.

However, generic inks for the 5000 cost $A6.40 and I neverhad to thinktwice about ink consumption.

There are no generic inks (to my knowledge) produced for the ip4200 or ip5200 family as Canon now uses chipped ink cartridges and although it is claimed they can be refilled, it doesn't seem too practical....(see Forum)

The ip4200 was advertised this week by a local firm at $A142....inks are $A24 each.

The ip4200 has a full set (5) inks included.......A set of inks would cost $120!!!

Suggest you look (EBay?) for second hand 4000 or 5000
Sandgroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 5:49 PM   #5

thankl you for that info...did not realize that u could not use other printer cartridges...can anyone let me know which printer they do use and if they are pleased with it...I currently have a Canon i560 and was looking for something a little better. Thanks

Old Jun 7, 2006, 9:18 PM   #6

I've not checked the latest printers but have EXTENSIVE experience in using Canon and Epson printers. Currently Canon is the only one not selling 'chipped' cartridges. There are some generics that either have software to fool the other printers or have the generic carts have chips on them. You can also purchase 'resetters' if you want to do the refill route. It is a pain, however. (I'm thinking in the EU this may not be the case. but don't know for sure.)
By FAR, the easiest cartridges to refill are the Canon. Note that in the United States, the Canon printers CANNOT print directly onto CDs/DVDs as Epson evidently has the exclusive rights to do so (Fryes is currently selling a refurb for $40 though !). At one time there were people on the forum talking about getting around Epson's exclusive rights, but I don't know if it was accomplished.
Epson is also the only company that is currently using pigment inks exclusively (they use a piezo printhead.) Dye inks will fade. I don't care what the companies tell you, what their guarantees are etc. They WILL fade. Pigment inks OTOH so far have held up really well for me and on the right papers WILL last. Wilhelm testing bears this out (do a search online.) There are chip resetters for the Epson printers to be had for like $20 and generic inks and cartridges also. A good source I have used is Media-street.com Their inks are excellent with some having a wider gamut than even Epson. They also specialize in 'black and white' grey inks whereby instead of using color cartridges, you switch to a set of 'gray' inks. I believe it requires a printer software to use properly, but I'm not sure on that. The site should explain or drop them an e-mail.
Currently I do as another suggested and have pictures printed by a lab. I download the images onto my computer, play around/tweak them and then either upload them directly to the lab or put them back into the memory card. If you've tweaked them and don't want the lab to mess with them at all you should tell them so ahead of time as the Fujii printers they use are normally set to automatically 'fix' photos. Sometimes it doesn't matter, sometimes it does.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Chazbo

Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:26 PM   #7

Charlie,

I must disagree about Canon being the only one not using chipped cartridges.

The ip4200 and ip5200 which superceded the i4000 and i5000 now uses chipped cartridges. These can be refilled but I suggest annie and others interested follow the Forums on printers and inks in another section of Steves Forums....Indeed, we should be discussing this on those forums and not the Pano one
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:37 PM   #8

I have just looked at the Forum mentioned. Check out "Photo Inkjet" and then the thread "Canon Chip Resetter"
Old Jun 8, 2006, 7:14 PM   #9

Thanks for all your help. As I am new here, I did not know they had aPrinter Section on this site so I have been checking it out. Sorry about that!!!! :?
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:10 PM   #10

Agree it should be discussed in the printer forum. Things get side-tracked sometimes (lord knows I've complained myself about political jabs etc. in this forum. Been awhile though.) So maybe I should have said Canon was the last NOT to put chips on their printers? Used to be the chips kept people from refilling old cartridges. Evidently that has changed on some models. Time to check them out at the printers forum.
Still the best 'archival quality' must be the pigment inks = Epson :-(
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote