Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 8, 2006, 3:08 PM   #1

I've seen this question several times, and allways the sunpak 383 was the best advice. The problem is that I can't find one here in Holland.

So does any of you have another suggestion on what flash I can buy, a flash with the same range as the sunpak?

Thanks!

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:34 PM   #2

Hi, my understanding is that the fz30 doesn't do anything complicated with flashes - may be wrong, but anyway I've just got off ebay a centon FH95 - bit random but cost £10 and is a 30m iso flash (from what i can work out) and seems to work fine - triger voltage seems to be about 6v. The main thing is do get a flash with less than 24v trigger - see the fz30 manual - otherwise you may fry the camera i guess and fits on with a shoe. This website http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.htmlseems to pretty good, but is not working - but search on google and the cache is still there

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If you just want a cheap flash to play around with i would recommend the ebay route and find one on the list - there are loads of flashes on ebay. The one i got seems similar spec to a £70 jessop one.

If you've got a volt meter u can check the trigger voltage when the flash turns up - it is the voltage centre pin and the edge of the flash shoe.

Im sure other people here have much more idea than me, but this seems a very cheap way to get a flash - just choose one with a tilt head etc.

The only downside is my fz30 is a bit dwarfed by the size of the flash
iom_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 3:17 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply....

The problem is that here in holland there are not that many cheap flashes on ebay, and I prefer buying a new one.

Since panasonic doesn't do that much with the flash, is it wise to buy a flash for a DSLR camera wich I'm gonna buy when (or if) I have the money (It's gonna takea few years befor I can convince my wife on buying a new camera) so that the flash doesn't have to be replaced?

Rudo
Old Jun 10, 2006, 5:35 AM   #4

you're right the dutch ebay doesn't have so much, suspect the german one may, certainly the UK one does, maybe find one which will post to you?

As far as buying one for a DSLR camera in the future im not sure - i think you would need to get one for the right brand eg nikon, and i think part of the reason they are lots available on ebay is they change the standard to a new improved focusing method - i dont know if they may do it again?

I know what you mean about buying one new, but given the fz30 doesnt do much and most people probably buy a flash at not use it that much is should be fine - beside if you dont like it put it on the dutch ebay - will probably make more
iom_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 9:39 AM   #5

Well I guess I found a sunpak 383 here in Holland after all, so I think I'll go for that.

Thanks for the replies!

Rudo
Old Jun 10, 2006, 9:46 AM   #6

Rudo

Cool you can;t go wrong with the Sunpak's. I'd recommend having a look at Dr Shene's site on Flashes for the FZ:

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/

You need to go to the section for the FZ10 and go to the external flash section.

Cheers

HarjTT

:?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 5:29 PM   #7

Thanks for the URL HarjTT..... A lot of things I didn't know, an added it to my favorite list.

Rudo