Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 11, 2006, 2:51 AM   #1

I heard on a bunch of reviews that the fx01 gives noisy pictures, but from the samples i have seen, they look really good...is it true the camera i noisy in low lights, compared to other ultra compact cameras?
Apples123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2006, 7:51 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Not so that I have noticed.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 12:31 PM   #3

dpreview.com concludes "Very noisy at ISO 200-400 in low light", http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pana...x01/page13.asp. photographyblog.com concludes "Unfortunately there is an even bigger image quality problem than softness, namely noise. The slowest ISO speeds of 80 and 100 on the DMC-FX01 are perfectly fine, but ISO 200, which isn't exactly a fast speed, displays some noticeable noise and blurring of detail, and ISO 400 is very noisy indeed.", http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...dmc_fx01_7.php. And, ephotozine concludes "There is quite a surprising level of noise present at the lowest ISO80 setting, I expected the image to be much cleaner. The noise level at ISO400 is a little disappointing as well. By this point the pattern has changed into large patches of chroma noise, which can be quite unpleasant.", http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/...fm?test_id=432. I was researching this camera for a friend and ran across these reviews.
jjonsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 3:54 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Even if they're all correct (and I really don't think they are - mostly they have decided before hand that they will kick every panasonic camera on the noise issue) so what?

IMO the noise from this camera is not noticablyworse than the IXUS 700 that my wife has.

There isNO other ultra-compact that has a 28mm effective focal length.

It has an image stabiliser and f2.8 leica lens.

It looks very cool in black.

If you want low noise use a DSLR, but this is the most awesome pocket camera around IMO.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 8:05 AM   #5

jjonsalt wrote:
Quote:
dpreview.com concludes "Very noisy at ISO 200-400 in low light",
This has been the case with every Panasonic camera. With the exception of the fuji F10/11/30,this is generally the case with every non-dslr digital camera. Either noise or lose of detail with in-camera noise reduction. I prefer the retention of detail. I also stick to iso80. If indoor lowlight is your priority, getone of the fujis. Approximately 90% of my shots are outdoors where the fx01 excels.

Many different samples with the fx01 at http://fmoore.zoto.com/galleries/firstfx01 IMO, the noise issue is way overblown. Take a look.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 10:30 PM   #6

I currently have a canon s500 elph. I am thinking of getting something new...and the fx01 really caught my eyes, especially after viewing pictures on pbase.com, and the member's photos from this website. I really see awesome pictures and i can't see the noise problem, even indoors. Is this camera more noisy than my canon s500? Is the fuji f11 better in every way? (except 28 mm, of course)
Apples123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:34 AM   #7

Apples123 wrote:
Quote:
Is the fuji f11 better in every way? (except 28 mm, of course)
There is some concern over ca in outdoor shots with the fuji. I don't have any first hand knowledge of that, however. Could be as over hyped as the noise issue with the fx01. The fx01 is definitely smaller than the f10/11/30.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 8:11 PM   #8

I think this 'portability' must bea key issue. When you have carried a SLR type of camera half way around the world, you dream of a camera like the FX01. Having used it for a few hours I am juststarting to see the types of shots I can get with its great 28mm (sic) lens and excellent handling response. It does have noise, but not enough to worry if you're not printing big. I am from a generation that dealt with film 'grain' qualities, so a little noise is just fine by me....

If you're wanting "noise" free images, get a big ol' DSLR. The fact that Panasonic have put so many great creative features in a body that you can 'take everywhere' really takes the biscuit! You have to have a camera on you in the first place to take a great shot. My FX01 has not left my side since purchased. Wishing for 'RAW' file ability, more manual controls etc, is missing the point somewhat....

:|

Dutch Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 9:33 PM   #9

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX01 Review At Cameras.co.uk Cameras.co.uk has finished their review of the 6 megapixel Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX01 and write it is one of the few digital cameras to offer an ultra wide angle lens. They continue -
"I have never found so many points I like about any digital camera as I have with the Panasonic DMC FX01. Full marks must go to Panasonic for adding so many useful and helpful features. Further good news is that the picture quality of the camera is of a very high standard and the camera is also exceptionally easy to use."
I agree 100%. The FX-01 produces photos that are easily as crisp as my Canon SD550, if not better.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 8:43 PM   #10

what abouth red eyes?
dose it make red eys in shots
thanks
alialexali is offline   Reply With Quote