Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 14, 2006, 7:21 PM   #11

Regards the FZ's - there is no way that Pana would just simply give up their position as the leading Ultrazoom manufacturer. Both Oly, Canon and Nikon dropped the ball on this particular market segment. However, I can also see that a lot of the manufacturer's wouldnt want to produce a FZ with say Fuji FXX quality sensors as that would just eat away at the DSLR pie. I've heard the rumours on the Sony R1 being the first and last in that range for that reason alone - an improved R2 would have simply smoked the low end DSLR's with standard kit glass and I think that would also include the Alpha which is a real shame. I may just pick up an R1 at some point esp if I don;t get a DSLR.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 9:23 PM   #12

"Regards the FZ's - there is no way that Pana would just simply give up their position as the leading Ultrazoom manufacturer. Both Oly, Canon and Nikon dropped the ball on this particular market segment."

I would hope you are correct, but Pannyt had one of the best prosumer camcorders ever made with the GS400 and really dumbed it down with it's successor, the GS500. If there is a new FZ I think it will be a step backwards as Pana just might feel they can't sell a $700 - $900 non DSLR. And they won't make a camera better than the FZ30 and sell it for $600 at release. I snapped up an FZ30 (black) from CC last week because I feel it might very well be a benchmark not equaled again as DSLRs start to dominate the $600 - $800 market too.

I jjust refuse to give up my Live Preview, IS, and 12X Lieca lens for a huge, heavy, lug multiple lenses around DSLR.

Chrystie (FZ5, FZ20, and FZ30 :-)

Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 7:14 AM   #13

Might the current model be EOL because they're refreshing the specs of the FZ30 line somehow -- say, a bump in megapixels, or modifying the body, or something? Just a thought.
DougG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:39 AM   #14

In the end, its all speculation as whatever the reasons are for the discontinuation, its already been decided by Pany. Other posters have had some interesting comments/musings that may have a grain of truth to them -- that is, its probably a repositioning of Pany in the digi market. Personally, I can't see Pany abandoning its position in the super zoom niche market with the FZ line unless they feel they can possibly create a new niche system that offers a semblence of a blend between the FZ reach and a low(er) end of the dSLR.

Indications are that the L1 will possibly be their introduction of a top end dSLR flagship model. Just having a top end dSLR won't open that market to the needed buying critical masses unless they have a complimentary low-mid system for the masses. Consumer models have to have a system that will appeal and will be sold to the middle of the statistical Bell curve. The L1 is to the right fringe (high end), the FZ/TZ is on the left-middle (low end) fringe. They'll come out with, IMHO, a system that attempts to combine a bit of both sides of the Bell curve and closer to the middle-- a blend of the super zoom/IQ capabilities of the FZ/TZ zoom and a dSLR.

At this point in time, I guess we are all correct and way off base at the same time. In the next few weeks/months I suppose that we'll all find out and both be surprised, excited and disappointed...
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 6:40 AM   #15

Hi,

The product is no more available. On a European site , no more available for consumers as for resellers.

http://www.pixmania.be/be/fr/xx/36/x...criteresn.html

http://www.pixmania-pro.be/gui_web/x...article=124311 this site for resellers mentions clearly Panasonic stop selling this product in Europe, no more into the product catalog.

Xophedebx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 6:42 AM   #16

And as you see, the product won't be upgraded. So no FZ40 so far I think. They propose the FZ7 as alternative choice
Xophedebx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 1:59 PM   #17

Pansonic USA says they will ship the FZ30 on July 21st.

Not that I know, but it seems to be a low stock situation.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 2:03 PM   #18

Gene, my man! Welcome back!

Two things- Did you mean to indicate the FZ40 ships July 21 or...?

You have to post about you vacation, how was it, where'd you go, any quick images of the 100-GB available to share, what's your initial assesment of your FZ30 v D50?

Inquiring minds want to know...:lol:
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 9:19 PM   #19

Here are 2 similar photos taken with the 2 cameras only resized to post

The D50 one is the basic JPG that accompanies the NEF and the FZ30 is EZ so they should be very similar.

They were taken on the way to Alaska...I have 100gbs worth so it will take me a while to sort them out......but the FZ30 did very well...dollar for dollar its hard to beat.

The optical viewfinder of the D50 impresses me but the cameras both take great photos.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 9:31 PM   #20

Genece, welcome back. I am sure you must have enjoyed the vacation to Alaska.

The two photos you posted comparing the two cameras are very impressive. Is the first by the D50?
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote