Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Panasonic / Leica (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/)
-   -   [Recovered Thread: 94758] (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica/92493-recovered-thread-94758-a.html)

Telecorder Jun 13, 2006 11:03 PM

Saw this just posted on DPR and its what B&H has posted... Hmmm....
:shock::?:roll::idea: Pending announcement...

> Adilson Faltz wrote:
> From B&H site:
> Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30, 8.0 Megapixel, 12x Optical/4x Digital
> Zoom, Digital Camera (Black)
> Mfr# DMCFZ30K • B&H# PADMCFZ30K
> Our Price: TBA
> Buy Used: $439.00

> Availability: Discontinued
> Important Notice!
> This item has been discontinued and is no longer available. Please
> call for more information.

> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

> Adilson Faltz
> Olympus C-720 UZ

I should add that B&H is closed and no one is answering their Live Chat desk. Hopefully they'll respond to my e-mailed inquiry in the morning as to what's behind their posting...

--
Telecorder
FZee5/FZee30+RD-S+OlyTC1.7X

d-sr Jun 13, 2006 11:21 PM

Now that is strange! Don't really know anything else to say.

Don :?

Telecorder Jun 13, 2006 11:29 PM

Some have ventured that its in anticipation of a possible FZ30+ or a FZ40 coming in mid-July. It will be interesting to see if its actually discontinued... As good as the FZ30 is, if there are no more new production units and the next new model to succeed it is pricier, I wonder if my 8-day old FZ30 new purchase might actually go up in price from the $370 I paid for it in the coming months.

Ah, the rumors and conjectures are now starting to swirl...

HarjTT Jun 14, 2006 3:18 AM

Tele

Thanks for the headsup. I think we'll be seeing the FZ30's replacment preety soon although I can;t remeber Panasonic ever running out of model well before a replacemnet is announced, although they did run out of LC1's about 6months ago but were/are still listing it online.

Cheers

HarjTT

DougG Jun 14, 2006 8:20 AM

The "discontinued" warning seems to be on the black model only; the silver one is "in stock" but whether that means Panasonic is still making them and shipping to resellers is anybody's guess at this point. However Panasonic's own U.S. website still lists the black FZ30 model. That being said, the website also lists the FZ20... which I thought had been discontinued.

jmgiv Jun 14, 2006 9:49 AM

We've heard 'discontinued' rumors before ahead of the introduction of new models. In at least some cases, the 'discontinued' status was simply unavailability that was later resolved.

None the less, if Panasonic is going to continue the 10-20-30 series, summer is the time for a new model--all three in the series were launched in the summer. If the pattern holds, we'll see a new model soon and find the FZ-30 truly is discontinued.

john

Mercurycu Jun 14, 2006 2:29 PM

I have no fatcs to base this on, and this is strictly my conjecture, but I don't think Panasonic will replace the FZ30. It will go the way of the C8080 when Olympus came out with a DSLR and the way the Nikon 8800 did. Panny wants us to invest in a DSLR. I have been reading that there will be no replacement for th Sony R1, as Sony is introducing a DSLR. I think that the FZ7 is the new FZ top dog. The user will have to go up to a DSLR from there, as will the owners of the Sony H5 or the R1.

On the camcorder side, Panny really dumbed down their great prosumer cam the GS400 in to consumer GS500. If yo want better, it will have to be an HD cam.

Prosumer cameras and camcorders are taking a hit in favor of DSLRs and HD camcorders.

Chrystie

jotajota Jun 14, 2006 2:35 PM

It does list the FZ20, but you can not add it to the cart, meaning, is not for sale anymore.
The FZ30 does have an add to the cart button, so looks like it's not discontinued yet.

Quote:

The "discontinued" warning seems to be on the black model only; the silver one is "in stock" but whether that means Panasonic is still making them and shipping to resellers is anybody's guess at this point. However Panasonic's own U.S. website still lists the black FZ30 model. That being said, the website also lists the FZ20... which I thought had been discontinued.

LadyhawkVA Jun 14, 2006 2:41 PM

I saw the silver FZ30 but not the black one at B&H. It looks like they've stopped producing them and the sellers are just getting rid of whatever they have in-stock. Maybe the price will come down soon!

Corpsy Jun 14, 2006 7:45 PM

I also get the impression that Panasonic may not continue with the FZ*0 line. The FZ30 was kind of a niche camera in the market, and it wasn't even available in any local stores here. It was likely too large, expensive and complex to appeal to consumers, and anyone looking to move up knows they need a DSLR. When I say "knows", I mean that DSLR has basically become the buzzword for professional quality.

If Pana does release an FZ40 though, I would expect it to be something quite interesting. As their new DSLR is targeting the more professional photographers rather than amateurs, it seems likely they would use the FZ40 to fill the gap, and that it would be a transition camera with DSLR-like quality and features. I would predict that would mean the same or slightly higher megapixel with useful ISO 400 images, and all the usual upgrades to LCD resolution, buffer size, write speed, burst speed, etc... Perhaps they'd even make it larger to look more DSLR-like, and also to accomodate a larger sensor. One can dream....

As far as "DSLR" being the recent buzzword of digital photography among consumers, I predict that by next Christmas or perhaps next summer, we'll begin to see low cost DSLRs of truly crappy quality.