Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:17 PM   #11

Another full zoom. This was in partial shade from about 5 feet, so I supplemented with flash. Again, no post processing.

Attached Images

Timewarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:22 PM   #12

Here is shot with no zoom. When shooting in this kind of harsh light, I tend to lean toward underexposing a bit (as it's easier to lighten the shadows than trying to hide blown highlights), so if this picture looks too dark to you, it is not the cameras fault.

Attached Images

Old Jun 18, 2006, 6:19 PM   #13

Time

Some very nice shots indeed - looks pretty good to me. How are you finding the VEnus III compared to the Venus II in the FZ20 ? There were several posts on dpreview on this subject

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:00 PM   #14

Hi Harj,

Thanks for commenting. I've only used the TZ on the one occasion, so I guess it is a little too soon to draw conclusions. Maybe the next time I get out I can take both the TZ and the FZ20 to get some head to head comparisons.

Although I tend to take a lot of the posts on the dpreview forum with a grain of salt, I have lurked there and have seen some of the complaints about the Venus III. In fact, some of the pictures posted there made me a little leery about what to expect from the TZ. From my initial shooting experience, I did not find the kind of problems they describe there (pixelation, "blockies", watercolor effect, etc...). Maybe I was just lucky, but even when I have looked at my pics at 100%, I saw nothing like what I saw in some of the pictures posted there. If those were true pictures, I have to think that either there are some defective TZ's out there or the users are doing something wrong. Of course, it could just be some quirk that only occurs in certain conditions or with certain settings of the camera.

I don't plan a lot of "experimenting" with settings on the TZ as the settings I used on my first outing are likely to be about the same for most of the type shooting I would expect to be using it for. (Of course, I might have to boost the ISO in dimmer light situations.) The only setting I am interested in checking out is one that the manual refers to as "picture quality for recorded pictures". The settings are "standard", "natural", or "vivid". All the pictures I have taken so far were in the "standard" mode. The manual did not seem real clear on the differences between the modes, but it recommends using the "natural" setting to reduce noise.

Just to clarify my earlier posts, I should mention that all the shots were hand held and shot in the 5megapixel mode with highest quality jpeg setting. Also, when I referred to "full zoom", I should have stated "full optical zoom".

If I gain any new insights, I shall post them here...
Old Jun 20, 2006, 9:00 PM   #15

Timewarp your shots are stunning! My husband purchased the TZ1 for me and so far i'm loving it! I shot homes on the hill way above our house and you could actually see the homes better in the pictures than with the nakid eye!
I've done several macros and a few distance shots and so far i'm thrilled with the camera!
So far I've got the camera set on the largest size pics. I'm not sure how much smaller I should go and if I go lower will it compromise picture quality? I don't know anything about what iso to set it at either so i'm learning all of this as I go along. I don't want to have to resize my images all of the time and compromise the image quality in doing so. I was playing with settings last night and inadvertantly set something so that when I click the shutter to take a pic it takes 2 or 3 in a row....I want to stop that. ? Oh also what about bright sunlight...I tried to take some shots of my yellow roses and found there to be too much light on the subject as well as positioning myself in such a way so as my or the cameras shadow didn't show in the pic any advice will be helpful...thanks
Attached Images

gramma4health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 9:43 PM   #16

Hi "gramma",

Thank you for commenting on my pics. I'm glad you liked them and glad you are enjoying your new camera. I'm sorry I didn't respond to your post before, but storms in my area have kept me offline the last couple of evenings...

Yes, shooting macros (especially light colored flowers) in harsh sunlight can be tricky. Whenever possible, I much prefer to shoot flower macros in either light shade or on bright, but overcast days. If you are shooting in bright sunlight though, there are some things you can do to compensate. I'm not sure which metering mode you are using, but if you are using the "multiple" mode, then I would suggest using some exposure compensation (probably somewhere between -1/3 and -1) to see if that helps. (See page 45 of manual for explanation.) My own preference is to use either "centerweighted" or "spot" metering and taking my reading at or near the brightest part of the subject. (See page 75 of manual.) Basically, I would just suggest trying various settings to see what works... and what is easiest for you.

As far as your shadow getting in the way... well, sometimes that can work to your advantage. If the subject is small enough that your shadow can entirely cover it, you might find that you can get better exposure since the subject is no longer too bright. If that doesn't work though, you might try just backing up about 3 to 4 feet and using your zoom to fill the frame with your subject (while still leaving your camera in the macro mode.)

If you haven't already figured it out, the most likely reason your camera is taking multiple pictures when you press the shutter would be that you accidently put the camera into "burst" mode. You probably hit the button by the trashcan icon while you were in the record mode. You can turn it back off by pressing the same button again and toggling through the choices (see page 48 of the manual). If that doesn't work, you can always put your camera back to the factory defaults by doing a "reset" (see page 23 of the manual).

Finally, as to your question about shooting in a lower quality mode... Yes, it would compromise the quality of your pictures. Unless your computer is having difficulty handling the larger files, it seems somewhat counterproductive to me to use anything less than the best settings. With the dramatic price drops on both flash memory and hard drives, having larger files does not seem as restrictive as it once did. Anytime you either reduce the size (e.g., shooting in 3M rather than 5M) or the quality of jpeg compression, you are loosing data from your picture. It may not be noticeable if only using for email or a small print, but if you ever wanted to make a larger print or if you need to blow up a portion of your image, you will want all the data possible in your file. Of course, the bottom line is that it is a personal choice... only you know how you plan to use your images and what you expect from them.

Just my two cents... hope that helps. Good luck with your new camera!
Old Jun 24, 2006, 6:31 PM   #17

While on holiday, i got a bit frustrated lugging my DSLR and lenses - so bought the TZ1.

The TZ1 is taking some nice pictures outdoors, with the exposure consistently giving good results. I miss a viewfinder but the LCD is good and the image stabiliser is superb.

Indoors (ie low light), you need to set the ISO to AUTO to get the best results, because fixing it at ISO 80 underexposes in too many shots.

With that 10x, the TZ1 will capture pretty much anything I want and the autofocus is fast (certainly compared to other compacts).

I am very pleased with the purchase.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 6:06 AM   #18

Hi
I am just a fresh user of digital camera~
I just bught TZ1 a month ago ~
I usually used it in a concert or in a party
Can you guys suggest what the best settings are for the above places please?
1 concert
2 indoor party (very dim)

thankssssss so much!
SClubUnited is offline   Reply With Quote