Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 14, 2006, 6:37 PM   #1

Are there any reviews or does anyone have this Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 compact 10x optical camera?

I'm looking at this and the Nikon 6 MP Coolpix S4 Digital Camera w/10x Optical Zoom

I read the review on the Nikon but didn't see one here for the Panasonic
:|
gramma4health is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2006, 8:24 PM   #2

Hi Gram

Yep DCRESOURCE has posted a review on the TZ1 - looks like its pretty good IQ wise up to ISO400, usable at 800.

Here's the url:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 11:06 PM   #3

Here are a couple of other links you might check out:

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/pan...z1/tz1-gen.php

http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/...fm?test_id=436

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...ix_dmc_tz1.php

Timewarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:20 PM   #4

thanks harjtt and timewarp i'll check out the links. I was hoping steve had a review.

I think they both have what I like but the nikkon has the extra feature with the moving lense which I really like.

What I want are really good distance and close up shots as well as movie abliity and compact so I can put it in my pocket on our hikes. Does anyone here own the Panasonic tz1?
gramma4health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 9:49 AM   #5

I think theres a couple of guys and gals with the tZ here and theres definelty a few over at dpreview's Pana forum.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 10:42 PM   #6

I've had the TZ1 for about 2 weeks.

It seems the Coolpix S4 only takes videos at 15fps. If taking video is important to you (as it is to me), that alone would rule out the S4 as a viable choice. 15fps videos are choppy, and many digicams take 640x480 30fps videos nowadays, so no one should settle for less if taking video is important.

(If 15fps is good enough (it isn't for me), I'd probably have gotten the Canon S80, it takes 1024x768 15fps videos.)

(The other 10x zoom compact camera is Kodak V610; the 10x is spanned over 2 lenses.)

ssiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:08 PM   #7

I just received my TZ1 two days ago. My primary camera is the FZ-20 and I also recently started experimenting with a dSLR. Like you, I was looking for a camera I could just stick in my pocket for those times when one doesn't want to be lugging around a regular-sized camera. Also, I find that when I am using the dSLR, I really miss the flexibility of the FZ-20. It is too cumbersome to try to carry both the dSLR and the FZ-20, so I plan to stick the TZ in my pocket on those occasions when I'm out with the dSLR.

I had looked at the Coolpix S4 as the moveable lens was also appealing to me. However, after reading the reviews and actually handling both cameras, I was sold on the TZ. I had seen some horrid pictures and negative posts regarding the TZ on other forums that left me a little skeptical of the TZ, but since the reviews were mostly favorable, I decided to give it a try.

I took the TZ out yesterday and found it to be a capable performer. I was quite satisfied with the results. It seemed to focus quickly and in most ways seemed to be on par with my FZ-20. Of course, I missed not having manual controls, but the camera seemed to do OK in setting the exposure. I was shooting in bright sunlight near mid-day, so the lighting was more harsh and contrasty than I would have liked.

I did not begin to test all the features of the camera. I did not try the "simple" mode or any of the "scene" modes. All my shots were in either the "normal picture mode" or macro mode. Since it was bright out, I was able to use an ISO of 80 which allowed me to keep any noise to a minimum. As I usually do with my other cameras, I primarily used both spot focus and spot metering.

Until I have shot in other situations, I cannot make a final evaluation, but my first impressions are favorable. I did not find some of the problems that others have complained about on other forums. I will agree that the LCD screen is a bit difficult to see in bright sunlight. Since there is no regular viewfinder that can be a bit of a problem, but I don't think it is any worse than any LCD screen I have used on other cameras.

I shall try to post a few pictures and you can judge for yourself...
Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:12 PM   #8

Here is a shot at full zoom. This is right out of the camera. It has only been re-sized and given just a tad of sharpening to compensate for the loss of detail in resizing.

Attached Images

Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:14 PM   #9

Here is a macro shot. Again, no post processing.
Attached Images

Old Jun 17, 2006, 10:15 PM   #10

Another macro. No post processing.

Attached Images