Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:07 PM   #1

Took an opportunity yesterday (finally) to try out my new RDS/protoype hotshoe adapter on my 2-week old FZ30 (Now discontinued...) on some BIF attempts of one of my favorite subjects... Red Tail Hawks.

The following are some images from a couple of burst sequences using the FZ30 w/my Oly TCON-1.7 that didn't turn out too bad. I must say the FZ30 does afford quite a bit more IQ than my FZ5 in similar situations.

All images were 100% crops to ~ 1400x1100, PP in PSE (a bit of Levels Adjustment; resized to posted size)

I guess I'll have to edit one of these to go w/my signature... what'cha think?:roll:
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:35 PM   #2

Outstanding photos, I'm impressed. And I agree, I think one of those would look better than the little gray cartoon head you currently use. What were you thinking, using a cartoon avatar in a photography forum!? And why does my snake + squirrel avatar still show up even after I changed it to a turtle? That thing is so old! Excellent photos!
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 2:23 PM   #3

Outstanding pictures. Love the clarity andcomposition.

Are there that many Red Tail Hawks in your area? It seems that almost everybody in this forumgets to photograph a hawk except me! When I see one its miles away.
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 3:18 PM   #4

Macnite wrote:
Quote:
Outstanding pictures. Love the clarity andcomposition.

Are there that many Red Tail Hawks in your area? It seems that almost everybody in this forumgets to photograph a hawk except me! When I see one its miles away.
Why, thank you, Mac!

I live in the SoCal 'High Desert' aka, the Mojave Desert ~100-miles NE of Los Angeles. I have a lot of alfalfa farms a few miles away and there are about 2-3 mating pairs of RTH that claim the farms and open desert as their own. Its extremely convenient as the rural road along this area is about 4-miles long and has a high tension power line that runs alongside of it in the right-of-way. I can usually find one RTH perched on one of the 80-100' poles at any time of the day. ;-}

I also live about 20-miles from the San Gabriel/San Bernardino mountains and Lakes Silverwood, Big Bear andArrowhead that all have a few mating pairs of Bald Eagles, some Golden Eagles, Ospreys etc etc...

As in Real Estate --location, location, location... :-)
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:57 PM   #5

Very, Very nice. Well done.

roger (The Old Newbie)
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:35 AM   #6

Great shots Dave! I take it your liking the FZ30 ! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 7:26 AM   #7

You are a lucky man to live in such a beautiful area. I live in a city and to any wild life I have to drive for miles.
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 9:54 AM   #8

Thanks, Roger, Jim & Mac...

Yea, the 30 is a much more full featured digi and is starting to show its capabilities when given the chance.

Hey, I even decided that its time to retire the old man avatar in favor of one of my passions for RIF (Raptors-In-Flight). :-)

Going up to Morro Bay for the weekend w/the wife for one of her nephew's HS graduation. Of course there won't be any time for as much photo shoots of the rich area as the sister-in-law has activities planned almost hour-by-hour. But, I believe she has a Nikon dSLR that she may let me play with. W/my home made RDS hotshoe adapter, maybe I'll see if I can use the RDS on her digi... and compare to the 30...

For those that are, have a great Father's Day and put it to use by invoking it to do something you enjoy without the associated guilt. I know that I'm going to try invoking it...:G
Old Jul 1, 2006, 11:58 PM   #9

Hi Dear, I am from India, a senior man of 70 and hobbyist since I was 12. I got my new FZ30 2 weeks back and trying to gey some good shots. My previous Coolpix990 is dead now totally gone as chips burned inside.

Congt. your pics are great. Please carry on.

Harbhajan Khann, India
harbhajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 10:21 AM   #10

harbhajan wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dear, I am from India, a senior man of 70 and hobbyist since I was 12. I got my new FZ30 2 weeks back and trying to gey some good shots. My previous Coolpix990 is dead now totally gone as chips burned inside.

Congt. your pics are great. Please carry on.

Harbhajan Khann, India

Why thank you, kind sir...

Looking forward to you images from such a historical area of our world...

Dave...